Greetings from the newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skills4lou

Original poster
Mar 11, 2020
Missoula MT
Howdy all,
New member here. For the last year or so I've been using an old Meco electric smoker that I built a controller for. The controller works great, but the only way to reload wood chips was to disassemble. I've made some tasty food with it, but it still needed a lot of babysitting. It was also very poorly insulated, so smoking in the winter was all but impossible.
Last week I was cruising the local CL offerings and found a Masterbuilt 'Sportsman Elite' for sale that had only been used a couple times, cheap. I did a little searching, learned about possible controller issues but figured I'd take a chance. If the controller craps out, I'll just adapt the one I already built. Anyhoo, I cleaned it out really good and ran it for a few hours to season the inside. I've also been searching around the forum for more information. I'm pretty sure what I have is the MES30, gen I. I also found out that I'm missing the grease tray that's supposed to go on the back, as well as the water tray (anyone have those parts?). Anyhoo, I'm currently smoking some brats as a test. I'm using choke cherry wood, which I've found makes really tasty smoke. Since I have it growing all over my property the wood is easy to come by too!
Anyhoo, just thought I'd say howdy!
Greg

Welcome to the forums, glad to have ya join the fun

Chris

smoked brats.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky