Greetings from the jungle paradise of Papua New Guinea

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tellcoma

Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
I have been dying to get back into smoking delicious meats. I've been out of smoking for about 6 years (ever since I arrived in PNG). I have a Traeger back in the States (Idaho) that we used to use several times a week. I used to take it into work and smoke ribs for the guys a couple of times a year. However, since we have moved to PNG as missionaries I just haven't had the time to build a smoker yet. So we have just "suffered". I have a couple of pigs that are ready to be butchered and my family has been dying for home smoked bacon and hams. So I have to get a smoker built, and tuned up, in enough time to have a Christmas ham!
The main problem I have, in building a smoker, is that propane has more than doubled in price over the last 2 years, so it is ridiculously expensive. Electric smoker is the way I am leaning. However, out power here is extremely unreliable and is very often off for days at a time.
The temperature rarely, if ever, drops below 50 degrees and is rarely over 85 degrees. We live in a high mountain jungle, 60-85% humidity consistently and up to 100% at times. We get 300+ inches of rain a year.
So those are some of my parameters. I will be reading the forums looking for a good vertical wooden cabinet smoker. If anybody has any advice or ideas please chime in!
Chad Wells
Pangia, Southern Highlands Province
Papua New Guinea

Hmm, interesting environment. Your temp range is ideal, but your humidity, and utilities (propane, power) are a challenge. Maybe a stick burner would be the way to go for you? Got a decent amount of firewood where you're at?

Welcome from Oklahoma!
welcome1.gif

I agree that wood may be your best option if you have it available.. sounds like you might since you are in the jungle area?

You could also do something that has both an electric element and a propane burner.. use electric when it is available and only use propane for a backup.

Also make sure you have some sort of covered area that is open on the sides and well drained so you can keep smoking when the rains come.

Hi Chad,

welcome1.gif
 to the SMF, the best BBQ site on the web.  Whatever you need to know about the fine art of BBQ you can find it right here, from recipes to technical knowledge.

One thing you need to know about us is that we like to see pictures of your creations and your gear.  We call it Q-View and its basically the 
Rules.gif
!!!

So, don't just talk about your food, show it!  Otherwise you may get a gentle reminder, like this...

worthless.gif
  or this...
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

Good Luck and Get Smokin'

Bill

Chad
welcome1.gif

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions Post it
and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is because their
are so many different ways to make great Q We all have our own taste.

Happy smoken.

David

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything   ......... 
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Thanks for the kind welcomes. This is going to be a blast!!
"Sounds like smoked Rusa deer may be on the menu!! That is some good venison, if one happens to walk by........."
Mbogo,
Unfortunately we don't have any deer in our Provence there are heaps of them in western Provence, but that is a 4 hr drive then a 3 hr flight.

Welcome aboard Chad!  This is the best place I know for sharing ideas on smoking, grilling, curing, etc.  There are plenty of friendly, knowledgeable folks who really enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input here, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

Red

Ok well the first smoker build is done. I put a couple pictures and a build description in the smoker build thread. Input is welcome
Chad

Being Aussie I know a bit about your location. Long history between PNG & Aust. Welcome . You are a way out on the edge my friend ,stay safe.
I sometimes forget the reality of our remoteness, it has become very normal.

Have you ever used eucalyptus to smoke with? Is there any hard wood from this side of the world that works good for smoking?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky