1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Greetings from Kentucky everyone

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by Thacker sauce, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Thacker sauce

Thacker sauce Newbie

I’m just a hard working man who loves Bbq I always cooked on a open pit then I got to smoking indirect heat and had to go all in so I been working on my old grill trying to turn it in to a reverse flow smoker got to the point of a trial run and it’s way to hot any help would be appreciated I’m cooking on all wood

2. magnus

magnus Smoke Blower ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Greetings Thacker sauce and welcome to SMF. I live here in the fine state of Kentucky as well. Any chance you could post a pic of your setup? Also, are you using lump charcoal or strictly wood?

Thacker sauce likes this.
  3. bluewhisper

bluewhisper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Welcome to the board! Yes pics would help, there are many builders here who could give you some advice. I'm burning wood, too, with just a regular offset.

4. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Howdy and Welcome!
    I don't know nothin about what you are doing. Just wanted to say Hi!

(I do mine on a Pipe Burner, or a smoker... mostly.)

5. SmokinGame

SmokinGame Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

Greetings, Thacker. I too am a newbie to the forum, but also a newbie smoker. I'm interested in hearing how your efforts turn out.

Where in KY? My sisters live south of Lexington.

6. Thacker sauce

Thacker sauce Newbie

F15537E1-8409-4025-A080-ADF37EE2FF10.jpeg 97C92742-CDE9-4BBF-AAC0-8123455CAF95.jpeg
    Just wood don’t want to shock anyone but I figure it was cheaper to work with what I had so I went from grill to smoker hence the square shape

7. Thacker sauce

Thacker sauce Newbie

Cc inside is L-47.5xw-23.5xh30 the Firefox is22x24 smoke stake is 6” dia.24 “ long the air intake not sure how to measure it but the holes are 4.25x1.25 and there is 5 of them the Fb to Cc opening is 4x22 and flow plate at other end is 4x23.5

magnus likes this.
  8. Thacker sauce

Thacker sauce Newbie

Hello I’m south of Lexington also a little town called Glasgow

9. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Welcome to the forum!
    Nice looking rig!
    Al

10. Thacker sauce

Thacker sauce Newbie

11. Thacker sauce

Thacker sauce Newbie

Thanks just need to get it cooking right before I finish it

12. [​IMG] Good morning and welcome to the forum from a muggy wet day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

13. magnus

magnus Smoke Blower ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Awesome rig you built there. Is the entire rig hot or are there hot zones? You could set up temp probes within the smoker to see if it's spiking at specific locations. If you find one spot spot cooks hotter then just move it away. Also check you dampers. If you see a heat spike you can quickly close the dampers, cutting oxygen to the fire. Also, how much and what type of wood are you using? If you're cooking with strictly wood, then less is more. Either reduce the size of the wood pieces or simply use less of it. I also recommend placing a pan of water in the cooker if it still runs hot.

14. Thacker sauce

Thacker sauce Newbie

Thanks Magnus you hit the nail on the head the next morning after I posted it was to hot I thought how could I be that stupid my fire was to big.I built a basket to contain a smaller fire and waalaa 250 degrease old habits die hard from my previous smoking method