Greetings from Gridley

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Rick530 with the Lang 60, right?!  There are some members in your area but their names escape me right now.  I'm in Roseville.  I end up your way on occasion when I get my cargo trailer serviced just down the road from you in Live Oak. 

So, what's smokin' on the Lang?  

Reactions: Will Squared
With sides, common guidance is 1/3 lb meat per person.  If it was me, two packer briskets and 15 racks of ribs (4 bones per person), but I always over cook for events.  You'd be fine with one packer and 15 racks, but I NEVER want to have just enough food.  The last thing I want to worry about is portion control.  It's in my Italian blood.  Send any leftovers home with folks in aluminum foil.  Whenever I announce "who wants to take the leftovers home" you'd think I said "Free $100 bills here!"  There's always such a rush. 

Last edited:

With sides, common guidance is 1/3 lb meat per person.  If it was me, two packer briskets and 15 racks of ribs (4 bones per person), but I always over cook for events.  You'd be fine with one packer and 15 racks, but I NEVER want to have just enough food.  The last thing I want to worry about is portion control.  It's in my Italian blood.  Send any leftovers home with folks in aluminum foil.  Whenever I announce "who wants to take the leftovers home" you'd think I said "Free $100 bills here!"  There's always such a rush. 
I agree, I'd rather have to much rather than not enough food. I typically go 1 pound of meat per person as most of the guys who roam my place for BBQ's are big eaters.

I see this thread is 5 years old. Are you still in Gridley? I am just over in Oroville. Your rig looks like you are quite the Pit Boss. I am a noob just getting a MGF560. I have the learning curve staring me in the face. I Love It !

WS, glad you're here and relatively local (Oroville), at least to me in Roseville.

If you're on a computer you can hover over the avatar and it will tell you when the member was last on the forum. Unfortunately, rick530 has been a no-show since Nov 24, 2015. If you are on your phone you'll have to click on their name to get the same information.

Pink flamingo from Knights Landing was last seen on June 17, 2019. Looks like both have moseyed on with their smokers.

Thank you. It looks like Rick has not been around since 2015 like you said.
We just bought a MGF560 and I am still waiting for the ash box gasket. Might come today !
I see you roast coffee. I get my green beans from Sweet Maria's
They just had a Salmon giveaway from the Fish Hatchery & Maidu Rancheria. I got about 25 lbs. This prompted the smoker buy.
Now I am just thinking of all kinds of things to smoke.
Too Much Fun !

I see you roast coffee. I get my green beans from Sweet Maria's

Yep, so do I. I friggin' LOVE Sweet Maria's. I usually order 20 lbs at a time, not all the same origin, because the UPS shipping cost is the same whether I order 10, 15, or 20 lbs.

I've been watching the weather today. I need to roast a pound of El Salvadorian coffee for a gift this Thursday. Sky is partly cloudy here in Roseville, but there's a pretty good breeze. I get the best results in calm conditions, but can crank up my burner and roast in a stiff breeze if I need to.

• Wow
I would drop into Sweet Maria's when I was working in the Bay Area. I Loved the way their warehouse smells.
I love the smell of cracking beans ! I have an older coffee roaster. .. works good. My favorites are Ethiopian and Peaberry.

I haven't tried Peaberry, but am familiar with it. The Ethiopian coffees with a cocoa/nut flavor profile are my favorite. Most of the African continent and Central American coffees with the same flavor profile are as good with their own characteristics. Typically I don't like coffees grown below 1500 meters. They get a tangy edge I don't care for.

If you're read my coffee roasting thread here at SMF you know I have a concocted home roaster. I started pan roasting and moved on from there. Heck, just last week I made another improvement to my home roasting setup that keeps the inner stainless steel colander anchored in one spot during the roast as I shake the Dutch oven about every 6-10 seconds. The beans roasted quite evenly with the new addition.

As you can tell, if you get me started on roasting coffee, I can't shut up, but it is always nice to find another fellow coffee roaster.

Roast on!

Ray

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky