Greenhouse Pics 2013

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looking great! We just got our starts started. They'll be ready to plant in another four weeks, if it quits freezing at night that is!

Hi Ned, Gary here, fairly new to the forum.  

Can I ask is the float bed just to water the plants and do you feed it?  It looks like a great way of starting plants off.  Oh and is it heated?

Hi Ned, Gary here, fairly new to the forum.  

Can I ask is the float bed just to water the plants and do you feed it?  It looks like a great way of starting plants off.  Oh and is it heated?

We use a root building fertilizer in the float bed. It works great for veggie plants. They do make heaters for these kind of things, but they are pricey. I just use a bucket heater from TSC. I hang it from the power cord at a 45 degree angle so the heating rod doesn't touch the plastic. It really works great!

If you have not seen the Youtube videos that MHPGARDENER published, they are great.  I really like the one of his "off grid" or no electricity (ie, no air or water pumping required) Kratky raft system for lettuce.  If you have some spare time, he has a lot of videos and they are very informative examples of greenhouse and hydroponic work.

I have the parts to make a summer Kratky grow box and wanted to try running one under T8 flourescent lights in the unfinished basement during the heat of the Georgia summer.  Just need to put it all together and see how it works.  Sure would be nice to have fresh lettuce in the heat of the south!

This is MHPGARDENER'S video on the Kratky method of growing lettuce.

An updated video....

Last edited:
If you have not seen the Youtube videos that MHPGARDENER published, they are great.  I really like the one of his "off grid" or no electricity (ie, no air or water pumping required) Kratky raft system for lettuce.  If you have some spare time, he has a lot of videos and they are very informative examples of greenhouse and hydroponic work.

I have the parts to make a summer Kratky grow box and wanted to try running one under T8 flourescent lights in the unfinished basement during the heat of the Georgia summer.  Just need to put it all together and see how it works.  Sure would be nice to have fresh lettuce in the heat of the south!

This is MHPGARDENER'S video on the Kratky method of growing lettuce.

An updated video....

That's neat, I'm gonna try that if I get a chance!

I thought I would share some pics of what I got growing in my greenhouse, There isn't to much going on, I'm off to kind of a slow start this season. I plan to update as the season progresses. Thanks for looking! 

Broccoli

Cabbage

Brussels Sprouts

Float Bed

Ned....Love it....your float bed....is it aquaponic [ raising fish and using the water to fertilize the plants ], or do you fertilize the water? I have a local farmer who has 3 old corn cribs [ holds dry corn on ears ], gonna see if he will sell them cheap. Gonna cut in half and make greenhouses, one for big fish tanks, another will have a float bed. 10 x 20, will hold a lot of fresh lettuce and will be fertilized by the fish do-do. Yep... gonna do that before I die...

SmokinMad

I just fertilize the water, it holds 100 gallons, so mixing the fertilizer is a breeze. I think the fish idea is really cool, its a little more than I want to get involved with, but still I think its really interesting. I've always wanted to try lettuce in the float bed, but I've just never got around to it. Those corn cribs sound like a plan to me! The thing I've learnt about the greenhouse is that everything requires 10x more work than it seems like it should!

There is a company in our town here that grows plants, and Tilapia hydroponically . Google Volcano Veggies Bend Oregon and check it out.

I really like the Kratky method I wish I had more room indoors to try some of this out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky