Green Chile Pork Posole (Stew)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
[h1]Green Chili Pork Posole (Stew) [/h1]
(I posted this on another forum and copied it to here, enjoy!)

This dish is a wonderful dish you might not get unless you are in New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, or Colorado.

The dish is nice and savory with flavors of earthy vegetables such as onion and chili peppers, while having a hearty green tomato flavor with the perfect amount of tang and zest provided by the Tomatillos (not really in the tomato family, funny aye). The chili peppers and chili powder also adds a little bit of a spicy kick to the dish as well.

I for one am not a fan of very tangy, zesty, and sour things, but this dish has just enough of those flavors in the same way a squirt of lime juice on a taco or in a salsa adds just enough to alter a dish so that it becomes out of this world good.

If you are lucky enough to find marked down/quick sale pork or have access to feral hogs you easily have the reason to make this dish and keep this recipe handy to impress all of your friends/family with.

Should you live in another part of the country or the world and are unable to find ingredients like Tomatillos, New Mexico Peppers, Poblano Peppers, and Hominy there are some substitution options available that allow you to still make a very good version of this dish.

I very much love to eat this dish and hope that you will too. Enjoy :)

Thinks to Know about this Dish:
  • Hominy is a large type of corn or maze. It does not taste like corn on the cob. It taste more like corn tortillas than corn on the cob. This makes for the starch component for dish(like potatoes, carrots, noodles, and rice do for stews/soups) and is a nice enjoyable starch. If you don't have Hominy in your area then simply cook the dish w/out it and boil some rice. Service on top of rice and you are good to go. If you are a pretty good cook you can even add the rice to the dish as you cook it, but be sure your liquid content is correct to support rice in a dish.
  • Green chilies can often be found in a can if you can't find fresh New Mexico Chilies or Poblano Chilies. If you use them from a can then do not worry about roasting them. -You can bypass the Green chilies and Tomatillos if neither are available to you to make a quick and dirty version by buying Salsa Verde in a size equivalent to the amount of Tomatillos and Green chilies listed in the ingredients list
  • Tomatillos smell like feet whether fresh or in a can. No matter their natural smell, as with an produce, be sure to check and ensure the fresh Tomatillos you are looking to buy do not have fuzz or black spots on them like tomatoes get when sitting at the bottom of the box/bin
  • Any pork meat will work for this dish, so those with access to feral hogs enjoy. I have gotten lucky and caught center cut pork loin on sale the last two times and can very much say it is the best meat to use. It freaking melts in your mouth. On a feral hog I believe this would be our backstrap meat not the true tender loins on the inside of the animal.
  • If you manage to make a dish that is too salty, just add more water at about 3fl-oz at a time and continue to cook for a bit and add water and cook until you get your desired concentration of flavors
Prep Time: about 15 min unless you work fast

Cook Time: 1hr 30min - 2hr 15min

Total Time: about 2hr - 2hr 30min

Serves:  5-8 people depending on size of the bowl :)

Ingredients: (* indicates MUST HAVE ingredient that cannot be left out or substituted)
  • 1 large Onion, chopped (yellow or white, not red)
  • 4 Garlic cloves, chopped (can use 3 tablespoons of garlic powder instead)
  • 2-2.5 lbs Pork, (I use whatever is cheapest at the store, or is on hand, BUT center cut tenderloin outshines every other piece of pork here as it will almost melt in your mouth when eating)
  • 5 cups Chicken Broth (I use chicken bouillon and water as a substitute)
  • 24 oz Tomatillos, coarsely chopped (canned works and is easier if you can find them. FYI, these thing smell like feet so don't be afraid if they smell funny)
  • 2 cups roasted New Mexican green chiles, chopped (this is like 4-6 chilies. I also substitute Poblano peppers if no green chilies are available. Poblanos are a more mild pepper as well if you want less spice. I roast in the oven, but a grill will work as well)
  • 1    30 ounce can White Hominy (substitute gold hominy if no white exists; White hominy is softer)
  • 1    18 ounce can of Gold Hominy (gold hominy, substitute while hominy of no gold exists; Gold hominy is firmer)
  • *2 tablespoons ground Cumin
  • 2 tablespoons Chili Powder (if you want lets spice go 1 tablespoon Chili powder 1 tablespoon smoked Paprika)
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • Garlic powder (for seasoning and browning pork)
  • Onion Powder (for seasoning and browning pork)
  • 2.5 tablespoons of Vegetable or Canola oil (NOT olive oil!)
  • 1/3 bunch of Fresh Cilantro (dehydrated works as well; Also known as Coriander)
Prep:
  1. Open and Drain all canned goods of liquid. (IMPORTANT: If you don't drain then you will have too much liquid in the dish making it bland because the seasonings are not in ratio with the liquid)
  2. Peel and Chop onion coarsely (no bigger than 1.5 inch chunks, no smaller than 1/4 inch)
  3. While wearing a pair of gloves (unless you are man enough like me to not need gloves hehehe), cut stems off Chilies and cut Chilies in half long way
  4. Remove seeds and veins from the Chilies
  5. Wash ALL seeds from the Chili halves (IMPORTANT: These seeds are large and will not soften up. They really hinder the enjoyment of eating the meal when having to bite on and spit out many seeds while trying to eat)
  6. Roast Green Chilies in oven or on grill until you get a light char on the outside skin of the chilies then (in an oven on broil, takes about 3-5 minutes) -When finished roasting, use two forks to remove as much charred skin from the chilies as possible. You want to remove at least 95% of the char or more as the char can overpower the dish with burnt flavors
  7. Chop Chilies coarsely just like the onions
  8. Chop all Tomatillos in half (if using fresh ones)
    1. Now that all are chopped in half, divide into two even piles and cut one pile in half again (leaving quarters)
  9. Pull 1/3 of the leaves off a bushel of Cilantro (Coriander), try to avoid the big stems. Set aside.
  10. Cut the Pork meat into 1/2 inch slices/steaks 
  11. Cut the Pork slices/steaks into chunks about 2 inches big
  12. Season the pork chunks with a medium coating of Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt, and Pepper
Cooking Directions:
  1. In a nice big stockpot (5qt or higher) over medium-high heat add 1 tablespoon of Oil saute Onions and Garlic (if using garlic powder only saute onions this way) until they get softish – about 7 minutes
  2. Add the rest (1.5 tablespoon) of Oil to the pot and add all Pork to the stockpot. Brown the pork on both sides (cook just until no longer pink on the outside, stirring/flipping/moving meat around about once every 30-45 seconds).
  3. Add the Chicken Broth, Hominy, Chiles, Tomatillos, Cilantro, Cumin, and Chile Powder. Stir all ingredients in evenly, cover the pot and bring to a boil
  4. Once a rolling boil has started, lower the heat anywhere from medium-low to medium to bring to a nice steady simmer (a simmer is not a hard boil).
  5. Simmer covered for 45min for the initial simmer, stir about every 10-15min.
  6. After the initial simmer time, uncover and simmer for another 30 minutes or until desired thickness is achieved (I like mine thick like a stew, others may like it more liquidy being closer to a soup than a stew), stir about every 8min.
Serving and Eating:
  • Serve in a bowl and eat with a spoon
  • If you went the nice and thick route, serve in a bowl and eat with a spoon and feel free to add thick stew into tortillas for tacos!
  • If you LOVE starches (meaning the heavy amount of hominy is not enough starchy goodness for you), make some Spanish rice, or even white rice and serve on top of the rice
  • Enjoy!

Last edited:
TallBM.  This looks great! Plus I like a fusion of smoked meat in other dishes.  I will be trying this as my last smoked picnic was used in a soup similar to Phở, (pronounced fa as in "fanatic" or fu without the usual two letters following), then cubed with some gravy and rice and finally the bones and leftovers added to a pot of beans.

For the gringos, I'm adding that hominy is dried corn that has been re-hydrated in an alkaline process.  Also your recipe called for a 1/3 bushel of cilantro.  That might be a little more cilantro than even I like.  Maybe you meant "bunch"

Again, I can't wait to try this!!!  Good job.

Also what part of Texas?  I'm in Austin.

rd

TallBM.  This looks great! Plus I like a fusion of smoked meat in other dishes.  I will be trying this as my last smoked picnic was used in a soup similar to Phở, (pronounced fa as in "fanatic" or fu without the usual two letters following), then cubed with some gravy and rice and finally the bones and leftovers added to a pot of beans.

For the gringos, I'm adding that hominy is dried corn that has been re-hydrated in an alkaline process.  Also your recipe called for a 1/3 bushel of cilantro.  That might be a little more cilantro than even I like.  Maybe you meant "bunch"

Again, I can't wait to try this!!!  Good job.

Also what part of Texas?  I'm in Austin.

rd
Hahahaha yeah definitely a bunch not a bushel :D

Hominy isn't seen to often, thank goodness we can get it in the can here in TX.  Makes plenty of good dishes and soups and such.

A Pho soup sounds awesome, just ate some (from a restaurant) on Sunday!  

I do a Pork Shank Japanese Ramen Noodle soup in the pressure cooker with my pork shanks after hunting season.  

This is not to be confused with the the crappy 50 cent Ramen soup in the grocery store, but as close as I can get to the real Japanese Ramen stuff that is out of this world!!!  I have that recipe as well if anyone ever gets curious for it.

I live in the North Dallas/Plano/Addison area.  I do quite a bit of work in Round Rock so I'm often near Austin during the weekdays.

You'll love this Posole dish.  It is one of my favorites since it is such a down home comfort food type of dish.  I'm positive you will enjoy it! :)

Reactions: randyrayd

It looks & sounds delicious!

Al
Thanks Al.  It is a good one. 

I may have a line on a hog that didn't make weight at my cousin's kid's FFA hog competition.  I told them that if the woman wanted to unload the pig cheap I'm all about it.  I was imagining this dish when I mentioned my interested in the pig :)

That's a great dish for sure!

I had never tried it with the green chilis until my boys started attending UNM.  We had always used red chilis here in the Dallas area, but they boys discovered it with green and it's been on since!

Wish I was still in NM. Grew up down there. Hard to get fresh roasted chilis in Alaska. Love posole with fresh oven bread.
Jason

Very nice, thank you for posting it! Unfortunately, I'm the only one in my household who would like this.
Thanks! That's a bummer.  Maybe someday you'll get a chance :)

That's a great dish for sure!

I had never tried it with the green chilis until my boys started attending UNM.  We had always used red chilis here in the Dallas area, but they boys discovered it with green and it's been on since!
Oh yeah green chilis.  They will be going on soon as pepper season is on it's way.  I like to make this dish when the Anaheim and Hatch chilies make it to Dallas each year.  Maybe you can get your boys to smuggle you some on the cheap here soon :D
Wish I was still in NM. Grew up down there. Hard to get fresh roasted chilis in Alaska. Love posole with fresh oven bread.
Jason
Not that it is exactly the same but I've also used the canned green chilis and the dish still comes out amazing.  Nothing beats fresh roasted but you wouldn't lose anything using a canned green chili, you just wouldn't gain the fresh roasted benefits :)

Looks good. I make both red and green. The NM chiles are so expensive to have shipped to PA, this down home comfort food turns into White Tablecloth Haute Cuisine. Jacket required. Going to try growing some Big Jim's this year...JJ

Looks good. I make both red and green. The NM chiles are so expensive to have shipped to PA, this down home comfort food turns into White Tablecloth Haute Cuisine. Jacket required. Going to try growing some Big Jim's this year...JJ
Just because I'll try most anything once (twice if I like it), I sent off for a bunch of different New Mexico chile seeds from a site on the internet.  I can do a lot of things, but growing stuff isn't my expertise.  Nothing came up.  I just blamed it on the seed supplier!  Better luck to you.  I do know that most peppers love full sun and heat, both of which we have a lot of here in Texas.

rd

Wow TallBM that looks great, Thx. for posting the recipe, I would like to try this, I have copied it. Point for sure

Just because I'll try most anything once (twice if I like it), I sent off for a bunch of different New Mexico chile seeds from a site on the internet.  I can do a lot of things, but growing stuff isn't my expertise.  Nothing came up.  I just blamed it on the seed supplier!  Better luck to you.  I do know that most peppers love full sun and heat, both of which we have a lot of here in Texas.

rd
Wow the recipe inspired you to grow the peppers!  I don't really grow much but my understanding is that a number of peppers need to have their seeds "scored" to break through the outer shell of the seed or they won't sprout.  In nature this often happens as birds digest the seeds and the acid eats away the outer shell of the seed.  My aunt simply takes a nail cliper and cuts a chunk out of each seed she plants and she has no issue growing all kinds of peppers.

Wow TallBM that looks great, Thx. for posting the recipe, I would like to try this, I have copied it. Point for sure
Thanks!  I'm sure you will like it.  If you cant get fresh green chiles feel free to find the canned ones.  You will then notice that the dish is amazing and realize that fresh roasted green chiles make it better :)

What a great post! Thanks for the recipe and the information!

Point!

Disco
Thanks!  I'm hoping you get to enjoy it some day.  I'm sure you will love it.  A nice touch would be to just add smoked pulled pork or smoked pork tenderloin to the dish instead of browning the pork.  Would give a whole new dynamic to the dish!

Enjoy! :)

Wow the recipe inspired you to grow the peppers!  I don't really grow much but my understanding is that a number of peppers need to have their seeds "scored" to break through the outer shell of the seed or they won't sprout.  In nature this often happens as birds digest the seeds and the acid eats away the outer shell of the seed.  My aunt simply takes a nail cliper and cuts a chunk out of each seed she plants and she has no issue growing all kinds of peppers.
Sorry for the unclear post.  I sent off for the peppers last year. Maybe I should have scored them but they were tiny.  Directions were to soak in water a few days before planting.  Our house is where plants come to die.  Or not grow!

Sorry for the unclear post.  I sent off for the peppers last year. Maybe I should have scored them but they were tiny.  Directions were to soak in water a few days before planting.  Our house is where plants come to die.  Or not grow!
I understand.  My Chile Pequin plant didn't survive last winter like I hoped it would when I wintered it.  I may attempt to go from seed with it from next year BUT I think I would much rather do a ChileTepin plant over the Pequin. 

This year thanks to my mother, I have now added a Tabasco and a Cayenne pepper plant to grow along side my mystery pepper plant that an aunt gave me last year hahahaha.

If I had my way I would grow quite a few peppers but I don't have any space but for about 4 potted plants on the front porch of my apartment.  My back porch gets almost no sun for plants :(

I looking for a recipe to use hatch peppers in. Need keep it low carb. What do you think of these without the Hominy?

Brian my friend I have you covered big time here!!! :D

You could do this without hominy no problem. HOWEVER, I would highly recommend you get your hands on some Shirataki rice like this and use it in place of hominy (best price anywhere below and free shipping if order is $25+):

This stuff has like almost no carbs or calories AND it will give you that starchy taste very very very close to what hominy gives!!!! I do the "rice" not the noodles as the texture is more of a rice noodle not a flour based noodle. With the rice you don't get any of that rice noodle texture since the "dots" are so small... not really grains but more of a dot shape.

Now you can also replace hominy with cauliflower florets and it is fantastic as well but no starchy flavor from cauliflower. As you likely know cauliflower takes on the flavor of what it is cooked with, it doesn't impart flavor. But man this flavor is amazing!!!

On your first order with Vitacost you can sign up for email marketing (use a junk email address of yours) and you will get a 20% off order coupon code.
I order like 100+ of these things at a time when I have 15-25% off deals or they run BOGO50%.

These are a staple for me doing keto and the rice allows me to do Italian noodle dishes, soups. mac n cheese, etc. where the noodle versions I limit to just Asian dishes due to the rice noodle texture.

Let me know how this sounds :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky