Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain 16" x 34" Gas Smoker @ Walamrt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tomn

Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
[h1]Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain 16" x 34" Gas Smoker at Walmart $97.[/h1]
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Outdoors-Smoky-Mountain-21-Gas-Smoker/12429508

Current price rollback to $97. Free shipping to store. Doesn't get much cheaper than this for a nice gas smoker.

-Tom

5c2d9548_0071511731954_180X180.jpg

Its a good unit. I started with that model

I am in wal-mart hell.My wife oreded a GOSM 20

Were it comes from is 2 hr aways at most but ten days later still no smoker.

Last edited:
Thats the one I just got. Was easy to put together but I have found a few issues with it since doing my first smoke. The door temp gauge is about 50 degrees hotter than the actual internal temp according to my oven thermometer, it leaks smoke around the temp gauge and door seal and it blows through wood chips like the are going out of style. But, for $100 bucks and free shipping I really shouldn't be complaining.

Ash

Thats the one I just got. Was easy to put together but I have found a few issues with it since doing my first smoke. The door temp gauge is about 50 degrees hotter than the actual internal temp according to my oven thermometer, it leaks smoke around the temp gauge and door seal and it blows through wood chips like the are going out of style. But, for $100 bucks and free shipping I really shouldn't be complaining.

Ash
Remember your after Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) just a light blueish smoke or no smoke and just the smell of the wood burning. Most of the cheap door thermometers are way off. Do you have the vent on top open?

Remember your after Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) just a light blueish smoke or no smoke and just the smell of the wood burning. Most of the cheap door thermometers are way off. Do you have the vent on top open?

Pineywoods,

The vent ontop doesnt close all the way. I had it a quarter of the way open and it was maintaining temp like a champ. Once the intial hard white smoke thinned out to the TBS I couldn't see any coming out the door or around the thermometer. I still think I am going to seal up around the thermometer and the door just to assist in maintaining heat.

Ash

Pineywoods,

The vent ontop doesnt close all the way. I had it a quarter of the way open and it was maintaining temp like a champ. Once the intial hard white smoke thinned out to the TBS I couldn't see any coming out the door or around the thermometer. I still think I am going to seal up around the thermometer and the door just to assist in maintaining heat.

Ash
Ash, you don't want to completely close off the vent. Sealing around the door will help. And like Piney said you just need to smell the smoke. On my GOSM wood chunks will last between 45-60 minutes.

I replaced the chip pan with 4x9 bread pan can get 2 hr on full load of hickory splits.Foil over the top to stop flare ups.
Michael,

I'm going to have to look into that bread pan. What kind of material is it made out of? I was thinking about "borrowing" the wifes cast iron pan. I'm doing a fatty tomorrow morning and need something that will hold more than a handful of chips. Did you just do a foil tent over the top and then move the water pan up some? There's not a whole lotta room down there with the water pan in the manufacturers suggested place.

Ash

Ash try using some chunks instead of chips I find they last longer. I replaced my chip tray with a stainless chip box with hinged lid I got at Lowes

Thanks Pineywoods. I picked up some chunks @Walmart the other day. I was pretty sure that those would do better, then I saw that my chip box wouldnt hold but about 1 chunk. :/ Looks like I'm making a trip to Lowes in the AM!

Ash

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky