Got my new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lennyluminum

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
ST. Petersburg, FL
Now that I finally got my masterbuilt 44" propane smoker how should I season it??

7e3ca459f44a5bdeb6bb7d0975385436.jpg

25c9e3a3a33722c9ac188fc512a72fad.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: sota d
You can go to the propane sub section for info from other gas folks. But, the first I would do is move it outside.

I would add to your list of todo things is to put a seal on both doors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Defiantly add a needle valve. It's the only way I've found to get the low temps.

As suggested, check out the propane section. Tons of reading on getting your new smoker set up.

Wood is for smoking and what's propane for???????[emoji]129300[/emoji] The only thing I could think is to use a propane weed burner to start a fire in a stick burner!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/80203/seasoning

That oughta do it.

When I got my GOSM many moons ago, it was wet with packing oil and all other forms of junk. I hit the entire thing inside and out with just a smidgen of dish soap and water. Gave her a good rinse than ran it up as high as it would go. 

Then I gave it a proper season with about 30 rainbow trout hanging in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: hardin70
Wood is for smoking and what's propane for???????[emoji]129300[/emoji] The only thing I could think is to use a propane weed burner to start a fire in a stick burner!

That's just mean..:pot:... Lol. I've turned out great q with my gasser.

Don't matter what method we use.. have fun and smoke on..

Reactions: n4ynu
I am sure you can make some ok Q with a gas or electric "smoker" I just feel there is a lot more of a challenge to using a actual fire to produce smoke and heat. I don't see how much skill is involved in setting a dial and letting it go for 12 hours. What's next putting soaked wood chips in the microwave with a butt for 5 minutes and having smoked pulled pork?[emoji]129300[/emoji] To each there own!! That's what makes life interesting.

I am sure you can make some ok Q with a gas or electric "smoker" I just feel there is a lot more of a challenge to using a actual fire to produce smoke and heat. I don't see how much skill is involved in setting a dial and letting it go for 12 hours. What's next putting soaked wood chips in the microwave with a butt for 5 minutes and having smoked pulled pork?[emoji]129300[/emoji] To each there own!! That's what makes life interesting.

Wow. Nice way to knock a guy down. Telling him thers no skill in his method. Defiantly no points for this post.

Last edited:
There is skill in it. I just don't see how challenging it is to set a dial and letting it go.
The propane smoker looks nice.

Some people have things in there life like working 50 hrs a week and on weekends too, 4 kids and don't have 12hrs to sit by a smoker to babysit it. Some people have all the time In the world. I like my propane smokers and apparently you don't.

But hey thanks for being a helping part of the fourm and sharing your advice on the proper way to season a smoker!!

Lenny,

Nice, if you're like me, you are excited about getting some meat in that thing I am sure.
I just bought a MES 30 Analog electric and did a Rack Mod to it and getting ready to season it, if you look in the manual it gives you a procedure for "seasoning" it, but it would seem the link to a explanation in a previous post is accurate as well, I bought mine because I want to use it to make Jerky, and the Char Grill I have even running the side burner box would require constant attention to ensure temps were controlled and meat constantly monitored, not only that, but I have been slaving over that thing , never leaving it sitting at its side in the back yard on the wood platform all day during cooks for years and years and years, wanted something more reliable for temp control, with smoke (AMNPS for this one over the chip tray), so now I can actually walk away and not have to micro-manage the grill/side burner, so that is what I am looking toward, and I have lots of friends using propane smokers and grills and they turn out the same great tasting eats, its all in the method, and there are reasons one can be a little better than the other in different situations and methods, its all good, personal preference, and I cannot wait to get this MES Analog Electric up and making Jerky, then Hams and Roasts, and instead of being locked down to the Char Grill, I can be chillin with the company !
I will surely use the Char Grill still, but this is going to be nice, you're probably like me, pretty excited 
yahoo.gif

And I like your son there smiling like a mouse with a big chunk of cheese hehehe

You have a Smoker Wing Man, you can train him to make mom and dad great eats later in life 
drool.gif

Nice pic, Pit Masters Assistant standing next to a nice Smoker as well, Congrats

Looks-Great.gif

Last edited:
I have 6 smokers & use them all for different purposes.

I agree with the fact that it's a challenge to tend to a fire in a stick burner, and it's much easier to just set & forget it with propane or electric.

But for an example there is just my wife & myself, I have 9 chicken wings to smoke tonight.

It's much easier to fire up my propane Smoke Vault & smoke the wings, than to build a fire in the Lang for a 1 1/2 hour smoke.

Not to mention the amount of wood I would use for those 9 wings.

This thread was meant to congratulate a fellow member on his new smoker & answer his question on how to season it.

Not tell him his smoker is inadequate or that his Q will not be as good as yours.

The rig you use to produce your Q has very little to do with the quality of Q you produce.

There are guys on here with $69 smokers putting out food just as good as the guys with the $30,000 trailer rigs.

Al

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsknicks1
Thanks guys i hope to do a smoke on Sunday. I'm gonna go home tonight and dig through the freezer and see what I have.

I lit up the smoker last night and let it run for a few hrs on high to burn off anything like oil or paint. Then added wood for a few hrs. Gonna spray it down with oil and do another Smoke tonight

As you've prob heard, don't trust the stock therm. There usually way off. Mine was off by over 100*.

I also had a difficult time obtaining a low temp. When on low, the cabinet temp was well over 300* . A needle valve solved that issue. I can now hold 170* for summer sausage.

Take lots of pics. We like qview. :drool

Last edited:
Great looking smoker and sous chef-I'm sure you're proud of them both! Don't have a gas smoker, but I always do a hi-temp burn off on all new smokers and grills. Enjoy that new smoker, I'm sure you'll turn out some great Q on it! 

Points for the nice pix!

Happy smokin', David.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky