Got my new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
As you've prob heard, don't trust the stock therm. There usually way off. Mine was off by over 100*.

I also had a difficult time obtaining a low temp. When on low, the cabinet temp was well over 300* . A needle valve solved that issue. I can now hold 170* for summer sausage.

Take lots of pics. We like qview. :drool

I have a igrill2 and a therapen so temp checking won't be a problem.

I actually bought the needle valve and have assembly to do the mod. One of the reasons I picked this smoker was for doing sausage. It has plenty of room to hang the links.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I actually bought the needle valve and have assembly to do the mod. One of the reasons I picked this smoker was for doing sausage. It has plenty of room to hang the links.

That's what I use my GOSM for. Well that and jerky. The needle valve will allow you to drop the temp or go as high as you want. I like to use the step method for sausage and jerky. So getting down to 120°-130° is a must and the needle valve does just that.  Small adjustments is the key to getting it to work properly. Make a small adjustment and wait 5 minutes adjust again if needed. One thing to consider is getting wood to smoke at those low temps is hard. Invest in on of Todd's tube pellet smokers. I have all of them and the new expando tube. It's the only way to go for sausage and jerky.

Seasoning, many moons ago when I bought my GOSM I fired it up hot to burn the factory oils off. Then I started cooking. Hasn't been cleaned ever (grates have). Has a wonderful smell (not according to the ex-vegetarian wife) every time I pass by it.

Good luck and show us some smoke!

I am sure you can make some ok Q with a gas or electric "smoker" I just feel there is a lot more of a challenge to using a actual fire to produce smoke and heat. I don't see how much skill is involved in setting a dial and letting it go for 12 hours. What's next putting soaked wood chips in the microwave with a butt for 5 minutes and having smoked pulled pork?[emoji]129300[/emoji] To each there own!! That's what makes life interesting.
No need to put word smoker in quotation marks, seems pretty dismissive to me. No matter what sort of rig somebody's using, they're smoking and I've seen some great Q on these pages. Attempting to knock somebody down when they come here for advice is not what this forum is about.

Reactions: little mike
I am sorry for sharing my opinion. I didn't mean to ruffle so many feathers.

I hope your propane smoker works great for you and you enjoy it and your Q.

That's what I use my GOSM for. Well that and jerky. The needle valve will allow you to drop the temp or go as high as you want. I like to use the step method for sausage and jerky. So getting down to 120°-130° is a must and the needle valve does just that.  Small adjustments is the key to getting it to work properly. Make a small adjustment and wait 5 minutes adjust again if needed. One thing to consider is getting wood to smoke at those low temps is hard. Invest in on of Todd's tube pellet smokers. I have all of them and the new expando tube. It's the only way to go for sausage and jerky.

Seasoning, many moons ago when I bought my GOSM I fired it up hot to burn the factory oils off. Then I started cooking. Hasn't been cleaned ever (grates have). Has a wonderful smell (not according to the ex-vegetarian wife) every time I pass by it.

Good luck and show us some smoke!

I have the gosm as well but decided to take it up to my hunting camp. That also gave me an excuse to buy this bad boy!

Nice smoker, Lenny! Sounds like you seasoned it right, just burn it hot to get the gunk out and
do a cook for seasoning.
Sounds like you've done your homework. See if the doors leak much and if so just get some felt type gasket.
You will probably need some sort of smoke generator like an AMAZN product for low temp stuff.
I use an offset stick burner mainly now, but I have no plans to lose the gasser :-)
Dan

Congrats on the new smoker! I love the pic because I'm sure the little guys face is just a smaller version of Dad's behind the camera. :D Looking forward to seeing some delicious grub that you pull out of there!

Thanks guys i did some beef ribs on Saturday. They came out pretty good and the smoker ran great. 1 burner on high stayed about 220 the whole time.

Thanks guys i did some beef ribs on Saturday. They came out pretty good and the smoker ran great. 1 burner on high stayed about 220 the whole time.

Nice !

But where are the juicy pics ????  
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

icon_cry.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky