Got a bit creative.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have the round "Nesco style" dehydrator which works, but takes forever. It has no insulation, and like you said, requires rotating the trays, and the PITA cleaning. I fabbed up a reflectix sleeve for it, and it helps. One day I want one like yours.
I never would have bought this because I didn't know better. Robert tx smoker tx smoker did the research. And bought it for me. Great unit and so easy to use. And clean.

I never would have bought this because I didn't know better. Robert tx smoker tx smoker did the research. And bought it for me. Great unit and so easy to use. And clean.
After you received your gift I looked them up...not a bad price! We use the round Nesco ones as well. Just one before but had one die out of season...thankfully a small local hardware store still had one so we could finish our jerky. After that we always keep a spare...but use both of them now. They are kinda noisy though.
How is your new one for noise? Can't remember if you mentioned that or not.

Ryan

Reactions: Steve H
My favorite way to do it .

That looks great .
I bought my Son a gift box of the Flatiron pepper blends . Good stuff . 4 different mixes .
Their spices are really good. I got turned on by them from another friend. And they are my go to.

So, I had to rethink our New Years day dinner. Ann's gout is acting up. So, seafood is out of the question.
Fear not. A quick redirect got me gearing up for rouladen.
Thawed out a top round and sliced it thin. There was left over. So I got to thinking about the jerky you see in the old westerns. You know, they are gnawing on a chunk of jerky about a foot long!
This was sliced thin. Less than a 1/4". The marinade was simple. No real measurements.
Just soy sauce and worsy sauce, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. And a generous amount of Flat Iron Sweet heat. And cure.
View attachment 653101

Into the dehydrator that my buddy Robert got me for Christmas. This is the best dehydrator I've ever had.
These went for 5 hours at 167 degrees.

View attachment 653102

Now. Here is the interesting part. Since the meat was really thin. The meat is almost like a potato chip. Crunchy, delicious. And not tough at all. And subtle salt with a big hit of heat.
Oh, did I say the pieces were large?
View attachment 653103
Lol! Maybe not a thing for devote jerky folks. But, this is really, really good!
Looks great Steve. My buddy made a batch last year so thin it was like chips that fell apart easily in your mouth. I LOVED it. I think it’s a fantastic snack and version of jerky.

After you received your gift I looked them up...not a bad price! We use the round Nesco ones as well. Just one before but had one die out of season...thankfully a small local hardware store still had one so we could finish our jerky. After that we always keep a spare...but use both of them now. They are kinda noisy though.

Ryan
It is really quiet. When I'm in the living room. Which is about 20'away from the kitchen. I can't hear it.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I need better friends...lol but If Robert approved that, it moves this much higher on my list. I see they sell an analog version of this (dials instead of buttons) The oldness in me wants me to lean this way, touch buttons always glitch.

Ryan
Very quiet. Like a small fan on low speed if that.

Nice looking Jerky Steve, and the flavours sound good to me

How did the rouladen turn out

David
Delicious!!
P1010150 - Copy.JPG

Grreaat looking jerky Steve! Great minds must think alike because I marinated some leftover pork loin in similar seasonings yesterday.

It’s going on the dehydrator shortly…and once you get a proper dehydrator like that, there’s no going back to old ronco styles or even the oven.

Grreaat looking jerky Steve! Great minds must think alike because I marinated some leftover pork loin in similar seasonings yesterday.

It’s going on the dehydrator shortly…and once you get a proper dehydrator like that, there’s no going back to old ronco styles or even the oven.
Thanks Joe! This dehydrator is light years ahead of the Ronco ones.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky