GOSM Therometer reading

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bso8870

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I am smoking my first set of ribs today with Jeff's rub 3-2-1. I noticed the thermometer on wally world GOSM is reading different then meat therm placed in top vent. I am going with meat therm. Anyone else have this discrepancy. The GOSM is reading about 200 and the meat therm in top vent is reading about 230.

My GOSM thermometer was very inaccurate. I finally ditched it and added a new one. Definitely go with the other one.

Most stock therms are not very accurate..I use a remote with the probe in a piece of hickory wood, (some use a potato) set at grate level that's the temp you should watch. Temps will always be hotter the higher in the chamber you take them..good luck

when i pulled mine out of the box it was broken. dial spun all the way around. --bummer--i bought a $15 one and replaced it.

As a rule a thumb, them thermos that come with the units er wrong! I leave mine there ta plug the hole an I kinda like the red sign on the front. Just get ya a remote readin thermo fer yer box temp. That way ya can read it at the smoker an wherever else ya might be. The remote is nice so ya know bout them temp spikes er heaven ferbid have a flare up.

Good luck with the new smoker an may the smoke gods smile upon yer cooker!

Your instructions for the GOSM shouold include directions on calibrating the thermometer. But it is a pain and has to be checked regularly. I go with the previously mentioned extra probe through a potato.

And a very important consideration was raised by Dennisdocb about position within the cabinet. I have left my stock thermometer in place as a decoration only and depend on the extra probe. I sometimes will put two extra probes in when I am doing a whole cabinet full of a like item, say Canadian Bacon, which I do up in bulk.

Bearing in mind that the upper shelves will be hotter I try to keep the variation as small as possible to maintain a more consistant product. But if the variation gets to be more than 25 or 30 degrees I will move items around a bit, taking lower shelves to the top and lowering the upper shelves. This can be very important when a long slow cook is taking place with a full cabinet. Some parts of the product could be done hours before others.

So, get to know your GOSM and you will turn out top notch Q every time!

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

I keep wondering how all of those guys smoked some really good "Q" for all of those years without thermometers. I checked my Big Block thermometer when I first bought it and use it only for a reference. A few degrees difference will not matter as long as you know what is going on with the meat. Watch a few cooking shows about the best BBQ joints around and look for the thermometers on their rigs or how much they talk about the smoker temperature. They are more interested in the meat temperature which is the end product. A good master carpenter can build you a real fine home regardless if his hammer cost $5 or $50 and regardless if all of the nails were driven in correctly behind the walls. The home will still look good and serve you well. The trick here is learning how to turn out good "Q" with the equipment you have under varying conditions.

A friend of mine just bought a GOSM his thermometer was off by 100 degree's, It is almost universal that smokers purchased at stores and are made for the mass market cannot be trusted unless tested, it is a shame but that is the way it is. I don't know if they are damaged during shipping or just made cheap

Not a GOSM but a vertical brinkman, is it possible to just lay the probe on the grate and get an accurate reading? I just tried that and my temp was within 4* of the smoker's temp?!?!?!

Were not talking about a few degrees we are talking about thermometers that don't work, try building a house with a rubber mallet, Isn't it important to know what temperature your smoker is at grate level?

i was smokin with my gosm first year i had it mebe 4-5 years ago andwas takin stuff out and the temp probe caught on my coat pocket and busted it clean off. i cant remember how far it was off but it was not accuratte, anyway just for the heck of it i called there 800# and told em my therm prob snapped off and they sent me a new on no questions asked. the one they sent me is within 5 degrees!!!! go figure, maybe just lucky...

Fellers that have been cookin with open fire er coals fer many years can put there hand over it an tell ya pretty close what the temperature is.

I prefer to use a thermometer an turn out consistantly good Q. There is a difference between the proffesionals an those who are just learnin the craft. As has been said before, most, not all, of the factory original thermometers are incorrect. If you chose to use it, fine, the suggestion here is to know what yer tempertature is to eleminate either over cookin er undercookin. Or we can look at it this way, would ya drive a car without a speedometer, or one that wasn't accurate? It can be done, but it dosen't have to be done. Why not make life simpler fer ourselves ifin we can?

I choose ta know where my box temperature is at an that is done with a digital thermometer. Just my two coppers worth.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky