GOSM Big Block Door Gasket Mod Results

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

igolf2

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Huntsburg, Ohio ( snowbelt!)
I recently bought some self-adhesive ceramic smoker gasket off eBay and installed on the door of my recently purchased GOSM Big Block - I cut to fit and cleaned the door rim very well with cleaner and Isopropyl alcohol then installed gasket and closed the door for 24 hrs. to set the gasket.

Before :  quite a bit of smoke and heat leakage - unit still cooked great "Q" but I was curious if sealing the door would help.

After : Zero smoke leakage around the dooor - temps much more stable- less wood used - able to achieve higher temp than before - still great "Q"

The 16lb fresh turkey I smoked for Thanksgiving was done in much less time then the one I did prior to installing the gasket.

For $12 and 10 minutes I could not be happier with the results - well worth the few dollars and time.

how about a pic of the gasket.

I think it's a great mod for many vertical smokers

TJ

This is a good idea, I've been wanting to try it on my GOSM.  How 'bout a little more info on the gasket?  What brand, how much, what's it look like, etc?  I've had a suspicion for a while that this mod would really improve temp control and wood chunk usage.  Thanks in advance for any more info.

This is a good idea, I've been wanting to try it on my GOSM.  How 'bout a little more info on the gasket?  What brand, how much, what's it look like, etc?  I've had a suspicion for a while that this mod would really improve temp control and wood chunk usage.  Thanks in advance for any more info.
i would like to know about it to the name where on ebay to go can you post a link to one on ebay thanks

x.gif
Here is the eBay item # for the gasket - #390267162568 or search "Primo Charcoal Grill Replacement Gasket" 

Mine should be here today.  Will be setting it up and testing tomorrow.

1/7/11- A little late, but it does make all the difference in the world doing this. I still have to "level" the door out.  Not a consistent diameter.  I would highly recommend sealing the door like this to anyone.

Last edited:
After running all over town looking for gasket rope today I came home to find this post and this looks like a great way to seal the door.  I also have a GOSM wide body.  I know this is an old thread but if anyone that has done this mod sees this, does the magnet on the door still close the door or did you have to install a latch of some kind to get door to stay closed?

Hi,

I'm the original poster and the big block is still working perfect - the gasket is still working after almost 2 years. My Big Block had the spring handle latch that I never liked so I installed a De-Sta-Co #323   2 piece clamp ($12 at Amazon) - it's adjustable and really latches the door tight.

Hope this helps you out

Hi,

I'm the original poster and the big block is still working perfect - the gasket is still working after almost 2 years. My Big Block had the spring handle latch that I never liked so I installed a De-Sta-Co #323   2 piece clamp ($12 at Amazon) - it's adjustable and really latches the door tight.

Hope this helps you out
Boy this is weird.  After seeing this thread and posting in it above,  I ordered and received a roll of this about an hour ago.  While testing it out and telling my wife I might have to replace the gasket every year or so your reply popped up on my phone.  Great minds think alike I guess!

No leakage around the door and it seems to work great.

Here is the latch I am using.  Not really made for the application but it is working great.  There is not much room for error when installing it though since it is not adjustable like yours.  I had to grind off two sides of the ball on the end of the latch so it would fit in the slot.  I may wind up switching it out for the adjustable one you have but this will get me through Thanksgiving for sure!

This may be a dumb question but did you put the gasket material on the door and the smoker itself?  I only put gasket on the door and it seals great but the fibers are sticking to the smoker itself when I open the door.  Not bad so I don't think it will be a problem but I will have to order another box of gasket to do the smoker itself.

Thanks!

Ricky,

I attached to the door only,  the self adhesive gasket fit perfectly around the Big Block door and I have not had any problems with fibers. Guess having gaskets on both surfaces will work just fine.

Your latch looks fine - as the gasket compresses the adjustable helps to compensate.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky