• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Goose!

leosmith78

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 28, 2006
I'd like to try to smoke a goose for Christmas. I searched the forums for ideas, but all I found was a lot of questions and not a lot of answers. 

So, has anybody on the forum smoke a goose? If so what tips do you have?

Finishing temp? Smoking temp? Breast up/down/variation? 

tia,

leo

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 24, 2014
LS78, Have you typed "smoked goose " in the search bar above? I've never done one but hopefully you can get some help there!

marctrees

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 1, 2016
Leo - have you ever cooked goose in oven?

If so, you have some experience with what I'm gonna say below.

Again, I am a smoking newbie.

But, I have baked a number of geese and ducks in home oven.

The only comment I have is - Like all poultry, but probably specially Geese and Ducks - I would think you need to cook at a highish temp- like 325 or bit more, for the skin fat to render out.

We used to do the skin razor scoring or pricking thing, and decided not worth the hassle.

Wish I could help more.     Marc

mfreel

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Sep 4, 2013

I brine mine like turkeys.  225 with hickory.  Here's a pic.  Can't remember how long it took, but I think it was about 8 hours.  THis is about a 7 lb Canada goose.

marctrees

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 1, 2016
Leo - So I am interested in this also, when my stars align and I have $, I would lovvve another Goose.

So |I've been Googling since posting here last.

Many say, the thigh temps should be like turkey, 170.

BUT - the breast, like only 145 - NOT 165.

So note and research that.

It's been awhile, so I do not recall what temp we baked ours to.

I would definitely research this, too much $ to experiment with, for me anyway.

One ok article -  One Guy's opinions - 

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/cook-your-goose-slowly-at-a-low-heat-to-let-the-fat-render-out

Keep in touch here.

Marc

Last edited:

marctrees

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 1, 2016
Mfreel - Very curious how the skin was cooked at 225f.

Course, ya gotta luv skin to answer that.

I'm a "keep your breast, give me the carcass w wings and all skin " guy.

When I'm done, almost looks the the Museum worms did it.

The color looks PERFECT.

Did you let it air dry uncovered in fridge overnight before?   Marc

Last edited:

leosmith78

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 28, 2006
Thank you to everyone for the replies. I've abandoned my quest of smoking a goose because my local international market cam through with a suckling pig in the size I wanted. The goose will have to wait.

mfreel

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Sep 4, 2013
Mark, just saw your reply.  Sorry for the delay.

I did this bird at 225 to an IT of 165 in the breast.  Perfect!!!!!   I used a maple sugar cure and the flavor was real subtle and didn't take away from the goose.

The skin was soft and not crispy.  I don't eat the skin, so it didn't really matter.  I suppose you could crank it up in the last hour or even finish in the oven.

I didn't let it air dry.  Just patted it down with paper towels before I put it in.  No spice, just the cure.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.