Goose!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

leosmith78

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Warner Robins, GA
I'd like to try to smoke a goose for Christmas. I searched the forums for ideas, but all I found was a lot of questions and not a lot of answers. 

So, has anybody on the forum smoke a goose? If so what tips do you have?

Finishing temp? Smoking temp? Breast up/down/variation? 

tia,

leo

LS78, Have you typed "smoked goose " in the search bar above? I've never done one but hopefully you can get some help there!

Leo - have you ever cooked goose in oven?

If so, you have some experience with what I'm gonna say below.

Again, I am a smoking newbie.

But, I have baked a number of geese and ducks in home oven.

The only comment I have is - Like all poultry, but probably specially Geese and Ducks - I would think you need to cook at a highish temp- like 325 or bit more, for the skin fat to render out.

We used to do the skin razor scoring or pricking thing, and decided not worth the hassle.

Wish I could help more.     Marc

Leo - So I am interested in this also, when my stars align and I have $, I would lovvve another Goose.

So |I've been Googling since posting here last.

Many say, the thigh temps should be like turkey, 170.

BUT - the breast, like only 145 - NOT 165.

So note and research that.

It's been awhile, so I do not recall what temp we baked ours to.

I would definitely research this, too much $ to experiment with, for me anyway.

One ok article -  One Guy's opinions - 

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/cook-your-goose-slowly-at-a-low-heat-to-let-the-fat-render-out

Keep in touch here.

Marc

Last edited:
Mfreel - Very curious how the skin was cooked at 225f.

Course, ya gotta luv skin to answer that.

I'm a "keep your breast, give me the carcass w wings and all skin " guy.

When I'm done, almost looks the the Museum worms did it.

The color looks PERFECT.

Did you let it air dry uncovered in fridge overnight before?   Marc

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for the replies. I've abandoned my quest of smoking a goose because my local international market cam through with a suckling pig in the size I wanted. The goose will have to wait.

Mark, just saw your reply.  Sorry for the delay.

I did this bird at 225 to an IT of 165 in the breast.  Perfect!!!!!   I used a maple sugar cure and the flavor was real subtle and didn't take away from the goose.

The skin was soft and not crispy.  I don't eat the skin, so it didn't really matter.  I suppose you could crank it up in the last hour or even finish in the oven.

I didn't let it air dry.  Just patted it down with paper towels before I put it in.  No spice, just the cure.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky