Good Morning Sausage Balls

Discussion in 'Side Items' started by candycoated, Feb 5, 2013.

1. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

There are some that you can find in the frozen meat section of the Stores.  DONT bother!  Yuck!  Those things are just as nasty as the meat balls with grape jelly!

2. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

They are just to easy not to do them fresh !!!!

3. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

LMAO Kat..... I did the meatballs with the jelly and chili sauce too ..... people rave about them and ate them up... I can only eat one.... blah....

4. kathrynn

Everyone seems to love those things.  They usually are all gone.  But...I don't know what they put in the meatballs....its almost like mystery meat or soy protein.  I have been guilty as well as to making them! 

5. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Bum that Dog story is hilarious...My wife had a similar situation when she was going to make Grilled Cheese sandwiches for her Brother and his kids. She got the 2 pound block of Velveeta out, partially unwrapped it and set it on the counter. She went across the kitchen to get the Bread and Griddle and returned to find her brother's 1 year old Great Dane sheepishly looking at her while licking his chops and standing one paw on a clean Velveeta Wrapper!...[​IMG]

I will try the Sausage Balls as written, I think 1 Cup Bisquick should be plenty, but I like the Onion idea too...JJ

6. kathrynn

Chef JimmyJ...I dee double dawg dare you to try them! Its not green eggs and ham! You really will like them! Trust us! :biggrin:

7. Mmmm, spinach balls. That sounds awesome!

I was chatting with MIL yesterday evening, and I asked her about her sausage balls. She uses the same ingredients, but uses 2c bisquick, and adds 1/2c of powdered parm cheese. Her's always tasted great, I'll have to pay attention next time I'm snacking on them to see if I can detect that parm.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  8. kathrynn

Here is a blurry picture of my last batch.  Took this with the cell phone...guess my hand wiggled!

Here is the cooked ones.  These things do not last long at all around here.

9. A wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle!

Those sausage balls are sexy, and they know it! ;p

10. kathrynn

Made me giggle.  Needed that today Lady Mel!  

11. pgsmoker64

pgsmoker64 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

BWAHAHAHA!!!  [​IMG]  Bet that was a tad curious!

12. Those sweet/sour meatballs are far too common around these parts and quite lame.  Better than a ritz cracker with some cheez-wiz but not by much.  Now that I have a smoker, pork shots blow the meatballs away.  I need to try this recipe as it sounds and looks great.

As for Bum's story about the dog eating the meatballs, it reminds me of two dog stories.....

Cassidy - As a teenager, my parents had a Bichon Frise named Cassidy (he had a bandana around his neck when we got him and "Butch" doesnt really work for a white fluff ball dog). One night I came home from school and head into the living room.  Mom says, I've got dinner for you on the table in the kitchen.  The rest of the family had finished only 10 min or so before.  I look at the kitchen table and there is nothing but an empty spotlessly clean plate.  I say, "Mom there's nothing on the table."  She had left roast chicken with gravy and a side on the table.  Cassidy, who stood about 10-12 inches at the withers, and who we did not know could jump that high, had launched himself onto the kitchen table and devoured the plate.  He might have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for the fact that his white face was covered with the gravy. 

Dublin - Our Kerry Blue Terrier, was accused of swallowing my wife's engagement ring.  The wife leaves her engagement and wedding rings on the dresser every night.  One morning while getting dressed she drops the ring off of the dresser and see's Dublin at her feet apparently eating something.  (He is notorious for grabbing items dropped on the floor (such as papers, plastic clips, dimes, etc.) and chewing but not often eating them). She is convinced he has eaten the ring.  We search all around the bedroom and find nothing.  We borrow the neighbors metal detector (confirm that it detects platinum by swiping it over my wedding band) and scan the dog.  As we move over his stomach, we get a BEEP, BEEP, BEEP.  We try it again....BEEP, BEEP, BEEP.   Uh Oh...  Convinced that he ate the ring, the wife spends the next 4-5 days squeezing the doggie bags of poo before tossing them into the garbage.  (It refused bc my ring was securely on my finger)  After 5 days...Nothing.  We finally break down and get an X-Ray.  No Ring.  I insist that we re-search the bedroom and low and behold the ring is found in a dresser drawer.  Poor Dublin was watched like a maximum security prisoner for 5 days to make sure we never missed a No. 2.

13. I wanna tell a story!

Around Christmas 2011, I made a cookie version of pumpkin rolls. Let the cookies cool, topped them with cream cheese frosting, then left the kitchen to do my hair and make-up.

Got back in the kitchen about 30 minutes later, and there sat over 2 dozen cookies without icing. They looked perfect, like I had just forgotten to top them, I thought I was loosing my mind for a minute.

Well, we had just gotten two kittens, they were about 6 months old at that time.

Later that night, they both vomited several times all over the floor... guess what the contents were...

They wont eat sweet cream cheese anymore. I've even offered them a spoon to lick, they turn their noses.

14. s2k9k

s2k9k AMNPS Test Group

OK Mel, Kat ya'll made me do it!

15. They look really good Dave!  [​IMG]    How were they?

16. s2k9k

s2k9k AMNPS Test Group

They are Awesome! And so easy to make! You gotta try them!

17. Those look delicious Dave! You'll have to send me a few so I can judge your work!

BTW, I smoked the frozen ones yesterday with some chickens. They smoked at 320*-340*.

Unfortunately I lost track of time, and they went 15 minutes too long, and browned too much.

But y'all know I ate one... then a couple more. They weren't too bad fresh and hot, but once they cooled they were un-edible.

Anyways, they tasted real good with smoke flavor. Definitely a good idea for a smoked appetizer.

18. smoke happens

smoke happens Smoking Fanatic

Just tried these today, awesome! Thanks Kat. Going to be a new party favorite.

19. kathrynn

Good Deal!  I am so glad you like them SH!  [​IMG]

20. kathrynn

Dave....I think you passed the Sausage ball test!  Looks great!