Good Idea or not ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bud1955

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Northern Colorado
Hello,
I am new here, well I read a lot but this a fairly new posting for me.
I own a Bradley 4 rack smoker. It has a problem getting to temp when it is cold, cool outside.
So the plan is to make a new one.
The chamber size will be about 10 cubic feet. The heating element will be one or two 110v heating plates or toaster oven parts. The temp control will be with the temp control of a toaster oven.
Do I have a chance of this working or am I just wasting my time? I have looked but have not seen anything close to my idea.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you for your time.
Bud

I'm not a versed as well as others in this category but they make relatively inexpensive elements for just the job your attempting.

Someone should he he along with a good recommendation :-)

Oops. I should have written more.
I am thinking that I will need 2000 to 2500 watts. Is this a reasonable number? The Bradley seems to have about 800 to 1000. Am I correct on this number?
My brother built his own Fridge smoker and used the parts from an old stove. He is using a 8 inch burner (3000 watts) and the controls from the oven to maintain and control the heat. He was able to get 220v to his smoker because it is near a 220v outlet. I am using 110v because my setup is outside and not near anything 220v. And I do not want to make a 40 foot 220v extension cord.
The insulation was going to be rock wool, concrete board or such. 1 inch thick.
And then the next question is the vent stacks. For the input, 3 - 1" X3" slots with sliding door. And a output similar to the vent stack like the Traeger's, about 3"

Last edited:
This can be done as long as the heating element(s) wattage is high enough for the chamber size. Plus the temperature controller must not allow for much of a temperature swing. Don't forget insulation plays a big part into all of this too.

OK, 220v will be more of a consideration. I was told that wiring 220v to my garage would cost about $500 - $700. (I am in northern Colorado). I was trying to keep the cost more reasonable. Yes, it would be nice to 220v in my garage but I do not have a real reason to have to there. The intended size was going to be 20" x 18" x 42" about 10 cubic feet
Bud

Hi Bud,
Why not smoke, then finish in the oven indoors?
Much easier than the brain strain you are putting on yourself.

A better way to raise the temperature would be to wrap the smoker with a welders blanket.

I used a Bradley smoke generator and poked it into an old Brinkman UDS, (Or, as I called it, my R2D2 smoker). But I'm more of a cold smoker, then finish other ways.

Bud, another option you could look into would be to replace your element. Looking at the BRADLEYS they are only showing a 500 watt heating element. Could be replaced easy enough with something like the 1000 or 1200 watt. Maybe a little retrofitting ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky