Gonna try my first meatloaf today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mkatts

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
Columbus, OH
New lady on Discovery health made this. She baked it. I am going to smoke it. My wife has been kicking a$$ at loosing wieght so I thought I'd try this healthy version of meat loaf.

Ingredients:
olive oil spray
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup fat free milk
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup minced red bell pepper
1/2 cup minced green bell pepper
1/3 cup minced whole green onion
1/2 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1-2 tablespoons seeded, minced red jalapeno pepper, to taste
1-2 tablespoons seeded minced green jalapeno pepper, to taste
2 medium garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound 96 percent lean ground beef
1 pound lean ground pork
2/3 cup ketchup

Think I am going to put a light coating of Jeff's rub on the outside.

Only thing I am worried about is if it will stay together or not. I am going to use my grilling basket like I have seen others here do with a drip pan underneath.

I may try to use a couple of tablespoons of the dripping to make a gravy.

What do you all think?

I think you are gonna LIKE it. Smoked meatloaf is just outstanding. I have also been thinking about using the drippings for a gravy. Be sure to let us know how it turns out.
PDT_Armataz_01_24.gif

Sounds really good, I think you good make a great gravy from the drippings.
Let us know how everything turns out!

I applaud you in your effort to support your wife's weight loss
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I too think you will love it, smoked meatloaf is great!!! If you wanted to make it even a bit leaner you could substitute some ground turkey into the mix.
Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

The meatloaf turned out great! I was happy with the taste. The texture was a little mushy though. May try a little bit more oats next time.

But the taste was great. I didn't put the ketchup on the outside like the recipe called for. I had Jeff's rub on the inside mixed in and a dusting of it all over the outside. The taste of that rub, carmelized and smoked makes great "bark". I like better than the rest. It was a good day of smoking, but I think I can improve it. Any it's half the calories and fat than regular meatloaf!

Oh, i couldn't find red jalapenos so I used a red pablono pepper instead.

Wife loved it too.

I took a picture of it, but e-mail is slow getting it from my phone to e-mail. I will post it when I can.

Well, I was going to upload a picture of it, but my phone freaked out and I lost the picture!
icon_mad.gif

Not really to appealing actually though. Wife said it looked like a big cow pie!
eek.gif

Maye that's what I should call it!

Had 2 pieces left over and decided to play a little. They were about an inch thick. Fired up the gas grill and laid them on. Once I got some good grill marks, I brushed on a layer of homeade BBQ sauce and let it carmelize all over.

Pretty good left over. Does it qualify for left overs when you eat the same day?
tongue.gif

I'have to remember that if I ever have left overs the next day!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky