Going to try my first Whole Hog soon!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimwalter73

StickBurners
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Paulsboro, NJ
Over the Thanksgiving Holiday my brother-in-law approached my wife about getting me to smoke a whole hog soon.  I told her as long as he helps me finish my big smoker I would be happy to try one.  The only problem is I don't have any idea as to how to start.  First were do I find a hog, what temp should my fire be at and what part of the hog should I check for doneness?  I haven't been on here for a while, I've had to relocate and now work two jobs so I haven't had any time to visit.  I have been at least keeping up with my skills and feel I could do this Whole Hog thing confidently.  Any and all help is and will always be appreciated. 

Low & Slow on the fire.

Call around to the local butcher in the yellow pages.  they will be able to order one.  The ones I use just south of you need two weeks to get the weight you order.  Should be no problem.  I would check the ham and then shoulder for temps.  which ever one is bigger, should be the ham.

Will you butterfly or use a rod?

Good luck and post the Q.

I will probably butterfly, I don't have a spit.  We are planning on doing it after the holidays so if you have any more advice I would love your help. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky