going to make a "few " smoked sausage this weekend

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by cal1956, Oct 9, 2015.

1. cal1956

cal1956 Smoking Fanatic

just making a few

2. [​IMG]  [​IMG]

Keep us informed,

Tom

3. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That looks to be close to 100 pounds of butts if those are 2 packs!

I'll be watching this for sure!

My back hurts just thinking about that many at one go!

4. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]  Im in!! What flavors are you thinking 

A FULL SMOKER IS A HAPPY SMOKER AND YOURS IS GOING TO BE HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!! 

DS 

5. cal1956

cal1956 Smoking Fanatic

its 147.74 lbs to be exact ....lol  should be around 135 lbs after deboning ,  i'll post an exact figure once i tally it all .

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  6. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Holy Sausage and meatballs! Hope you got a power stuffer!!!

7. cal1956

cal1956 Smoking Fanatic

i figured out how to attach my cordless 18 volt drill to my stuffer .  can do 15 lbs in a few seconds ...lol

i control the speed , the wife controls the tube , it goes pretty fast

8. dward51

dward51 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

You're gonna need a bigger fridge!!!!!   Wow, I'm watching this one for sure.

9. cal1956

cal1956 Smoking Fanatic

a BIG part of it is going to freinds , i told them i would make it for them at cost , i am keeping 30 lbs of hot and spicy for me and not sure how much

of the mild the wife is keeping for her , but she told me tonight all but  5 lbs was spoken for .

10. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That would wear my ass out just deboning and cutting up grinder ready.

I'm definitely wanting to watch. Any heat problems?

11. thats a lot of SAUSAGE there cal. your smoker and friends are going to jump for joy.....
    dannylang

12. mrbeef

mrbeef Smoke Blower

Wow Cal! I sure hope you have some help!

13. cal1956

cal1956 Smoking Fanatic

right off the bat i made a rookie mistake ,  we deboned and ground 6 butts last night and seasoned them to marry the flavor overnight

then 1st thing this morning we started stuffing , the meat was waaaay to cold and that made it to hard for the cordless to handle so

i had to do the 1st 50 lbs by hand and it was still hard , today we have roughly 100 lbs done but not smoked , just plain ran out of room

so the 1st thing i have to do Sunday morning is put a load on the smoker in order to get room to debone , grind and season the last 7 butts

so far the deboning has been the worst of it

i'm losing a tad over 2 lbs per 50  after deboning , so not bad there

14. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That is a Herculean effort for just the 2 of you! I'm not familiar with your equipment, what size is your grinder?

Looking forward to some end results!

15. jckdanls 07

jckdanls 07 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY.... I have blisters on my hands just thinking about all the cutting to make it grinder ready ...

:sausage::sausage::sausage::sausage::sausage::sausage::sausage:

16. cal1956

cal1956 Smoking Fanatic

i have no idea what size the grinder is , its just a cheap one we bought from harbor freight , but it works great , no complaints here

i don't cube the  meat,i cut it into long strips and the grinder pretty much feeds itself

17. crankybuzzard

That says a LOT about your dedication to this hobby! Carry on friend, I look forward to some plated results.

18. cal1956

cal1956 Smoking Fanatic

out of 147.74 lbs of Boston BUTTS the bones weighed 7.93 lbs .  

i think its time to sharpen the grinder blade's  but i have no idea how ...lol

we have ground probably  north of 300 lbs  of meat since we bought the grinder . so i figure its time to sharpen them

19. crankybuzzard

Check this out:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  20. cal1956

cal1956 Smoking Fanatic

i watched all 3 great idea ...thanks