Going full time in the bbq business in the next 18 months

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
welcome1.gif
 to SMF!!! We're happy you found us!

Go to every Q joint within 1 hours drive.... taste everything and make notes...  then make yours different and better...  Folks won't drive to eat the same old stuff or mediocre stuff....  You have to make them want to come to you....  

Make up a few batches and give it away to strangers and ask folks to critique your food.... from beans, slaw, ribs, pulled pork, chicken, wings etc. and brisket.... ask for ratings from 1-5 and was it too sweet or salty etc from everyone....  Once your recipes are in order, get the permits and make money....  Just because you think your Q is good, folks that pay money are a little more finicky... 

Last edited:
Also keep meticulous track of exactly how much $$ and time you spend to produce your Que. Then break it down to a $/hr. so you can see if you are really breaking even. A lot of folks go broke real fast because they don't really know what they need to charge to not only cover costs, but still make enough to live off of.

If you haven't done it I suggest a course at your local community college on running a small bussiness (if you haven't done so already).

in addition to the obvious stuff, have some good scratch-made sides that are tested, honed, and can be replicated day after day.  Seems trite in the grand scheme, but I eat a lot of bbq on the road, with coworkers, and just having a potato salad that knocks people's socks off goes a long way to planting the seed of a good experience, even if the chicken was a little dry that day.   People can taste care, AND well seasoned food.  I think that separates the men from the boys.  Well seasoned food that can please "most" people.  Keep it simple and figure what you do best, and what sells.  Ask people if their is anything you can do different, not only whether or not they thought it was 'good'.. many people are too polite and say it's good just to avoid confrontation.  

Have a signature too.. whether it's a novelty item on the menu, like chicken lollipops, a smoked meatloaf sandwich, or a unique set of sauces to squirt around.  Make the menu on a blackboard, cuz it's just that fresh and changing.. like the prices.  If everyone else only pulls their pork, well.. pull and chop yours.  If they serve a sandwich, then mound yours over the bun so you can't see it.. and then leave  the other half on the side. Show off the Q, ya know?  Go for visual presentation.   

And probably most important.. be a good steward over this 'breaking of bread'.  Engage people, and be as present as your Q.  Laugh a lot, because this ain't a job, it's your passion.  Let people think they got a deal and make it easy for them, and show thanks for their business.  Develop relationships with your customers and throw an extra rib (cuz you have too many today)  in there every now and again for that guy who drops in twice a week.

One man's view... 

Last edited:
Reactions: humdinger
welcome1.gif
to SMF!  Looks like you are getting some good points!

One thing to add...have your business hours where folks can actually come and eat in your place.  We have a place that is great!  Their hours are from 11:00 to 2:30 Monday thru Friday.  We cant go due to work schedules.  They make a great brisket too!

Kat

When figuring your costs you have to break everything down, even the paper napkin. Sure, napkins are cheap...until you start going through 5000 a day. I run a small engine repair shop, and one day I was sitting looking at my gas can and something clicked. At least 10 gallons of gas were going out my gate every week in someone else's mower. At $4/gallon, I was giving away $2080 a year.

Also, don't skimp on the quality of meat. Hook up with a local meat supplier that understands your need for a better cut, see if he will cut you a discount since you will be buying in volume. Start simple and with what you know. don't offer 13 different meats and 18 different sides. GoinForBroke mentioned sides that can be replicated. If you do a good side and folks like it, they expect it to be the same on their next visit. Consistency! You may have improved it, but chances are if they liked the first version they won't like the second "better" version. I wish you luck, heck I wish me luck.

Bigbutt , Hello.

Glad you stopped by and joined us. I surely hope you have luck with your endeavor and all I can say is :hold on to your 'panties' , it's a rough world out there...if you've had no experience, my suggestion would be to (you'll need license anyhow) advertise for Catering or take-out first , then research your area for the location -demographics... accesibility , trafic , room for parking-patio,etc.. Then have at least 2yrs. savings(which you would make in that time) as back-up. If after the 2 yrs. with the business growing and no losses, you'll most likely to make it...JMHO.

Everyone here is amazing! Thanks for the suggestions and wisdom. There is something special about the bbq family and that's why I cant see myself doing anything else.

Get ready to spend a lot of time in the joint. If its what you love to do you'll be good to go. But you will spend as much time in the place while it's closed as when it's open. As daveomak says it right when he says to visit other local joints and check out the food......and pricing. With the cost of food these days and the amount of time it takes to produce good q you need to price it right. Best of luck. I have family in virginia beach and will come see you in the summer if you are up and running.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky