• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

GMG Davy Crockett disappointment...

yetavon

Joined Sep 11, 2018
After much research went with the DC, great review from a friend, Small Portable, versatile....
Got a good package deal from Pellethead on Amazon, fast service and shipping...
Open the box, start assembling and.....just a single grease tray....
Everything I seen in research, even the manual on GMG web site shows the "Open Flame Technologies " grease shield and no mention of the single plate....
This is an apparent OPTION but mostly advertised as a main selling point.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Sorry to hear that.
I don't know anything about pellet grills, but that would make me mad!
Al

SmokinLogs

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 5, 2017
I agree with Al, they shouldn’t advertise it as a big selling feature if it’s only an option you’ve got to pay extra for! Hopefully the grill still does a good job for you without that option. Good luck.

darwin101

Meat Mopper
Joined Jun 16, 2013
They switched from the two piece grease tray to the single tray recently. Lots of guys like the single better. Give them a call or send email, they have great customer service. I want the single, just haven't ordered it yet.

Last edited:

Ishi

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 30, 2018
They started with a single grease tray then went to the open flame option. Then I was told this spring they went back to the single tray.
I’ve heard from many local guys that have the open flame tray that they weren’t impressed with it.

yetavon

Joined Sep 11, 2018
Just got it and both meals turned out great, had some temp issues the 2nd time, times dropping 35 degrees.
I'll manage with it im sure

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
Temp swings are a part of the pellet life for most of them,I am pretty sure it wont affect the outcome and they will smoke more when in the lower temps,I suspect some of the lower temp swings may be beneficial to a certain amount

yetavon

Joined Sep 11, 2018
Didn't hurt the taste for sure. Fans and auger running, smoke blowing like a train, and temp kept dropping. Had me scratching my head.

yetavon

Joined Sep 11, 2018
Have 3 runs with it now....managed to smoke 19 pork chops at work that everyone loved.
temp stayed rock solid.... till i upped the temp... raised up fine then yo-yoed about 30
degrees several times... more practice to come

Ishi

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 30, 2018
Some more things to look at.
Is the cap on the chimney set right? My old Daniel Boone required 1 1/2 inch space.
Are any sensors covered with foil?
Move the heat shield just a little to find the right spot

yetavon

Joined Sep 11, 2018
No cap adjustment on the DC... open or closed.
No foil involved. do want to experiment some with the shield.
Turkey breast tomorrow....

nchapelheel

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 8, 2009
I bought the GMG Daniel Boone grill back in May. It has performed well. I don't get the smoke flavor, but Todd sent
me a new smoker tube. I haven't tried it yet due to the hurricane, but I will soon. Smoking a brisket is next on the
list. Have to go to Costco to get it Friday. I am trying a pastrami recipe. Hope it works!!
nChapelHeel

yetavon

Joined Sep 11, 2018
I'm getting good smoke flavor and nice ring, but a tubes on the wish list for cold smoking. The more we use it the better i like it. It gets moved around a bit, so every new spot you must check the heat shield spacing.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks