Glass stove top not good for heat transfer question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BC Buck

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
MO
Have horrible inefficient, uneven heat transfer with glass electric stove. Thought cheap pans that are not flat when hot. Bought All clad d5 pan in stainless and made big difference. Stainless is difficult for me to use with limited use application so purchased All clad HA1 anodized non stick. They are flat but for some reason have horrible heat transfer. Been using them for about a year. The reason for this post is other day wanted a really good sear on piece of beef and dusted off a old cast iron pan from storage. Was told not to use cast iron on glass. This pan has the heat ring cast into bottom so not much of pan actually makes contact with glass but thought would give it a try. All articles iv read say CI does not transfer heat efficient but holds heat. Was shocked that this pan heated 4 times faster and hotter than my HA1 aluminum and twice that of my $150 D5 pan. Thinking of purchasing a new CI pan without heat ring on bottom and grinding bottom smooth so less likely to scratch glass top. Have any of you had similar experiences with glass to cook ware?

Reactions: JLeonard
Here is a good read on the use of CI on glass top stoves

We use CI pans on our glass top stove. Never had a problem, just don’t drop one on the top. I slide ours on & off the burner & it’s been OK. No noticeable scratches & our range is about 8 years old. GE.
Al

Use my CI routinely on my glass top stove. No issues. Of course I'm careful to not drop it.

Jim

I use one with a ring . No issues .
This is a 1940's Lodge . My newest cookware is 1986 Revere ware . Use it all on a glass top stove .
Maybe you have a burner going out ?
1674067638942.jpeg

Reactions: Fueling Around
I've been using CI on my glasstop for 19yrs without issue.

I've heard a lot of positive chat about the AnalonX pans but I've no experience with them.

Have you tried this brand?

I think that cast iron skillets help to overcome the pulsing heat on glass-top stoves. Once they get heated, I generally turn down the burner because CI holds heat so well. Once I get the burner dialed in, even something like making roux is doable. And I cook gumbo in one of my cast aluminum roasters... no issues there either.
1jGBrps.jpg
oxYkaBE.jpg

As you say cast iron heats up faster than anything else on my glass top.
My bitch is spent a lot of money on the All Clad HA1 non stick and 4 times slower than $20 CI pan. This is a expensive Jenn Air glass top and its not a element going out because all four burners are crap. Good luck trying to boil two gallons of water. Brian im glad to hear someone else experience slow to respond CI out performing aluminum. Just think are government wants to take away all are gas appliances.

Have you tried this brand?
They generally release new pans via Kickstarter; I have a skillet, a flaming skillet (has holes to let the fire thru, and a wok, all in forged iron and all via Kickstarter (and they missed the initial planned release dates by months). I got the skillets to use on the grill - their "lightning" versions that are a bit thinner and lighter than the normal versions. They feel like carbon steel but work more like cast iron. The handles stay very cool (unless you use then in the oven or under the grill lid) but aren't that comfortable in my hand. I've used the solid skillet and the wok on my glass-topped induction cook top and they performed well.

I like them a lot but the handles keep them from being my primary pans; I have arthritis in my hands so it's an issue - same reason I don't have all-clad pans. if I didn't already have a nice set of Williams-Sonoma clad stainless pans, I'd consider the SolidTechniks with silicone handle covers.

They originally started in Australia but opened a factory in the USA a few years ago; they have a larger variety of pans in their Australian-made lines but are slowly adding to their American-made lines.

My newest cookware is 1986 Revere ware . Use it all on a glass top stove .
I so miss my 80's vintage Revere Ware SS clad skillet. Single guy in those days. I cooked every meal in that single skillet. It got left on a burner and died.
This is a expensive Jenn Air glass top and its not a element going out because all four burners are crap.
Sorry to hear your problem.
This is an electrician guestion. Did you perhaps get a 240 volt range and you are in a 208 volt dwelling? Are you in a multiple unit complex?

I use cast iron on my glass top Whirlpool without any issues heating up or scratching. Same with my All-Clad D5 skillets. Both use low heat and take a little while longer to heat up than my current favorite which is carbon steel. Carbon steel seasons pretty non-stick like CI but heats up and cools down a lot quicker.

Sorry to hear your problem.
This is an electrician guestion. Did you perhaps get a 240 volt range and you are in a 208 volt dwelling? Are you in a multiple unit complex?
No I checked into that. Two legs of 120V and ran 8GA copper conductor.

miss my 80's vintage Revere Ware SS clad skillet
I have a set . 10 " skillet , Dutch oven , 3 sauce pots , lids and 3 mixing bowls .
I use it constantly . Along side the cast iron . Always on the look out for a 12 " skillet .
They have the disk in the bottom , works great on the glass top .

Reactions: gmc2003
I noticed early on that the new glasstop (not so new now) was a whole different animal.
I still don't understand the "pulsing" on and off. It may be an "energy conserving" feature, as when it takes FOREVER to pre-heat the oven. I've gotten used to it.
That said, once the new was worn off I was allowed to use C.I. and haven't had any issues.
I strive not to drop heavy pans anywhere :emoji_wink:

I have a set . 10 " skillet , Dutch oven , 3 sauce pots , lids and 3 mixing bowls .
I use it constantly . Along side the cast iron . Always on the look out for a 12 " skillet .
They have the disk in the bottom , works great on the glass top .
I've got basically the same. My set consists of both the 10" and 12" skillets, 6 qt. pot, 3 sauce pans(different sizes) and a serving platter. No mixing bowls here. They've been in use daily since 1985. My mother had the same set except her's had the copper bottom. My sister got her hands on that set.

Chris

• Love
Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky