Gifted 5# of Halibut - Let's Hear Your Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I wouldn't waste my time. Just send them to me and I'll take care of those nasty fillets for you...🤣🤣

Seriously, though, I just like it lightly coated with course salt and fresh cracked black pepper and then either seared in EVOO in a very hot cast iron skillet or over a bed of screaming hot coals just until browned. Serve with fresh squeezed lemon...

Seriously, though, I just like it lightly coated with course salt and fresh cracked black pepper and then either seared in EVOO in a very hot cast iron skillet or over a bed of screaming hot coals just until browned. Serve with fresh squeezed lemon...
I like something similar that is called a Meunière style. Salt, pepper, a very light dusting of flour, then a sear, and removed to a serving dish. Next comes some browned butter, lemon juice and parsley or other herbs, and this gets drizzled onto the fish.

A lot of similar sear and sauce suggestions in the archives too. I guess it boils down to 'less is more better' when something is just so good to start with.

Now on to some sous vide sites because the pack I will start with is 1.25 pounds and two nice fillets.

I'm not the fish expert , but have recently been trying .
Salt, pepper, a very light dusting of flour, then a sear, and removed to a serving dish. Next comes some browned butter, lemon juice and parsley or other herbs, and this gets drizzled onto the fish.
This is how I did a cook except for the below ,
removed to a serving dish.
Light dusting of flour , enough oil to crisp it and cook it up . It smelled and looked so good . I cut a lemon in half and squeezed it on the fish ,,,, in my Son's well used well seasoned carbon steel pan . Smelled great . Then the sauce got " weird " ,,,, then dark . Then I realized I stripped the seasoning out of the pan with the acid .
The only thing harder than scraping the fish in the trash was telling him I managed to strip the finish off his skillet .

Yep, I like a basic preparation...
All the recipes are coming full circle with the 'back to basics' recommendations. And since I've been a fishermen my entire life, I get it.
Then I realized I stripped the seasoning out of the pan with the acid .
The only thing harder than scraping the fish in the trash was telling him I managed to strip the finish off his skillet .
We've all done that.... especially on camping trips eating the day's catch.

I cook on a lot of vintage cast iron, some that was even passed down from my Great Grandmother to my Grandmother, and then down the line. Some griddles even show pitting damage from wood burning stoves. I do my best, but I'm sure people around the turn of the century used soap and water and didn't even think about it.
49e1DRh.jpg

MUW7icz.jpg

I wouldn't waste my time. Just send them to me and I'll take care of those nasty fillets for you...🤣🤣

I agree, never want to over power a nice fish like that!! Simple is best so you get the taste of the fish. Have a flavor of some sort to dip in if you want but don't mess with true taste of the fillet. That's me though.

Reactions: thirdeye
I cook on a lot of vintage cast iron,
Same here . I cooked eggs this morning in a 1940's Lodge that came from my Dad's Mom .
That pan has fed this family for a lot of meals . I have a couple others that are passed down .
I was following a recipe and added the acid to the pan . If it would have been my Revere ware I would have been eating fish that day .
The old cast iron makes great food .

We used to have a restaurant near us that had breaded and fried halibut… man it was phenomenal! I wish I knew the ingredients of that breading… I’ve tried a few times to replicate and just didn’t happen.

I haven’t much experience with halibut, but I hope you find a recipe that hits the spot!

Halibut Piccada, is my go to, either that or garlic salt, pepper, fresh lemon and butter. You have to be very careful not to overcook H. butt, or it gets super dry, it's not an oily fish like Salmon or tuna. I always have Hali. in the freezer, we catch them regularly this time of year. I'm fortunate to have friends and family in the fishing industry and a brother with a badass ocean boat, so I get to go whenever I want to go, being retired. Hali's are super easy to catch, find a break / sudden depth change, and work it over, and over until your boxes are full when the tides are right.

Try the piccada, if you like lemon and capers.

Dan

Attachments

• 2019-05-05 11.53.29.jpg
    2019-05-05 11.53.29.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20170719_161638.jpg
    20170719_161638.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20170719_163018.jpg
    20170719_163018.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230429_120147.jpg
    20230429_120147.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Halibut is my favorite fish to have
But for me , it is light fry with salt and pepper and butter
and when served, fresh lemon juice over top

Thanks now I have to go to store and try to find a nice big Halibut steak. But first to the bank for some extra cash .

David

To follow up after round-1 of the halibut. I did use the sous vide method, 135° for 45 minutes. This gave me me really good mouth feel, just starting to flake, and the moisture was spot on.

I seasoned with cracked pepper and Kosher salt 30 minutes before cooking (enough salt to qualify for a lite dry brine), put a couple of pats of butter in the bags. For finishing, I did a 30 second sear, followed by browning some butter, a pinch of Old Bay, lemon slices and parsley, which was drizzled over the fillets.
KoCh72z.jpg

8XXiRWd.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky