• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Getting used to this

Joined Sep 12, 2016
Hi all, from Boston here. 44 in" Masterbuilt Propane smoker. I've successfully done chicken wings and a whole chicken. They tasted great.

Having trouble getting smoke. It takes about 90 minutes. I've tried a cast iron skillet with dry hickory. It sits right above the burners but I'm going to modify to make it rest properly. I've heard differing opinions on wood (soak/don't soak/soak only for 1 hour/etc.)

What do you all find works? I'm having a blast learning and figuring out my smoker. Temperature control has actually come easy to me.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009

to the forum!

Glad to have you with us!

First off don't soak your wood chips.

Are you using chips or chunks.

If chunks, start with chips & when it gets smoking then add the chunks.

Al

Joined Sep 12, 2016
I'm using chunks. I tried soaking chips the first time and quickly realized it had to be a rookie mistake. I'm getting great smoke with the chunks but have difficulty getting there and maintaining. 

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Well then all you have to do is put some dry chips in the pan with a couple of chunks.

The chips will start smoking right away, then as they burn out the chunks will start to smoke.

Al

Joined Sep 12, 2016
That is why your name says "super moderator" next to it and mine says "newbie."

Thanks! I'll try this out.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.