Getting tired of my old rib recipes, need a new one

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tc fish bum

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
Ive got two, caramel apple and traditional memp. dry rub. they wow the crowd but there just getting old hat. got any good ideas?

I stick to the same rub, but sometimes I wrap them, sometimes I mop them, sometimes I finish them on the grill, and sometimes I inject them. And sometimes I just throw them on naked & let them go until they are done. It just depends on how I feel at the time!
Al

For me lately it has been all about sweet and spicy. I start with a brown sugar base and then just keep adding stuff till I'm happy. Try some ancho chile powder and oregano!

Same here...been doing a sweet and spicy rib for a while. I use Butchers Honey Rub, and for the sauce I use Blues Hog Competition sauce mixed with their Tennessee Red sauce. The family loves it!
I tried the plain salt & pepper one time and was almost beaten with the ribs by my loving family....lol

We lightly apply our rub so the meat shines, not the rub. I don't burn out as often with rubs that way. I watch guys on TV pack the rub on their ribs. I did that early in my smoking efforts. No more.

My wife likes her ribs sauced, so I play with the sauce when I find myself getting bored with ribs. She likes a LOT of sauce, and I scrape off the excess. I used to make "his" and "hers" rib racks, but now I don't bother making two different types. Keeps the peace and her happy. I generally use Sweet Baby Ray's as a base sauce, then make changes. Last weekend I added had some canned and drained crushed pineapple, a little of the drained pineapple juice, and bourbon.

Below is a link to the rub I use for ribs and pulled pork. I do pile the rub on a butt, but not the ribs.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/no-sugar.269839/#post-1768064

I was going to post pics, but can't; system is updating with changes.

Had another thought. Change up the wood you use. I cycle between hickory, apple, cherry, and mesquite in that order. I'm on the cherry cycle now.

Last edited:
pineapple/ bourbon or rum sounds like a great idea. I heat with a outside wood furnace so I have a lot of oak, maple and cherry to smoke with, and I too have been on a cherry kick lately. gonna do a corned beef brisc. with cherry this week. thanks for the ideas everyone

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky