Getting Ready

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
Went to a Lowe's Food Store and picked up a 4 bone rib roast. Yes, it's not "choice" grade, but the price was OK. My plans are a 30 day dry age for Christmas using a UMAi bag...

20211122_135105 (1).jpg

20211122_133802 (1).jpg

Good looking fat, but not much marbling...

20211122_135318 (1).jpg

Vacuum sealed and put away in the garage fridge to let the magic happen...

20211122_141041 (1).jpg

I'm watching also, but your Lowes has a meat dept.?

Chris

That looks and sounds like it's gonna be good
It's a shame they weren't the same store it would be nice with the one stop shopping :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: buzzy
That is going to be good!
I have done a few of those, a couple of them in a bag & a couple of them just open in the fridge. I have never left them whole before. I just cut them up into steaks. But I did mine for 45 days, you really get a big flavor blast when you go beyond 30 days. So I am looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.
Good luck!
Al

That is going to be good!
I have done a few of those, a couple of them in a bag & a couple of them just open in the fridge. I have never left them whole before. I just cut them up into steaks. But I did mine for 45 days, you really get a big flavor blast when you go beyond 30 days. So I am looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.
Good luck!
Al
Yep Al, I like longer aging times, as well, but I'll definitely post up the cook...

After 2 weeks, 2 to go. Not really a noticeable difference from last week...

thumbnail (10).jpg

The UMAi Dry bags are permeable, it's what they're designed for. The bags can't be completely vacuum sealed, just most of the air removed.

From their website...
"UMAi Dry® is a unique scientifically-proven, chef-tested technology that allows anyone to create custom dry aged steak and dry cured meats at home. The material forms a bond with the proteins on the surface of the meat allowing moisture release and oxygen exchange while blocking odors and contamination. With UMAi Dry® you can craft dry aged steak, charcuterie or slow-fermented dry sausage in any well-ventilated cooler or refrigerator without risk of spoilage."

Reactions: fftwarren
Fascinating. What kind of prep do you go through after removing the meat from the bag prior to cooking?

So I’ve never done a dry age, but how is it dry aging if it’s vacuum sealed? I’ve only seen dry aged hanging in the case at the grocery and it’s alway exposed to the air (which is where I thought “dry aging” came from). Please educate me.
Typically you need a drying chamber that controls temperature and humidity to dry age or dry sausages including salami.

With Umai Dry, the bag material is much like collagen sheets, it allows moisture to pass out but not come into the bag. At refrigeration temperature and low humidity, you can dry meats in a controlled way without the use of a curing or drying chamber. Just a frostless refrigerator. They even make tubes for sausage and salami. Very cool product.

Reactions: fftwarren
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky