Get out the bibs, Boys and Girls! Post your favorite Mini-WSM Q-view here!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Keith during that cook were you running your partyQ?
No Case that cook i ran the IQ, also one of my bigger reflectix sleeves (because of the IQ connector) and over stuffed the basket a little.   That mini lid didn't come off until that butt was like 197-198 so i didn't waste any heat.   That sucker was snuggled in that day breathing in warm air the whole cook. 

View media item 288294

Case you see that PVC connector?    Since the IQ has a plastic connector i used that PVC to connect it to so it doesn't melt....worked really well.    The only time i use a controller is for a long unattended cook. 

No Case that cook i ran the IQ, also one of my bigger reflectix sleeves (because of the IQ connector) and over stuffed the basket a little.   That mini lid didn't come off until that butt was like 197-198 so i didn't waste any heat.   That sucker was snuggled in that day breathing in warm air the whole cook. 

View media item 288294

Case you see that PVC connector?    Since the IQ has a plastic connector i used that PVC to connect it to so it doesn't melt....worked really well.    The only time i use a controller is for a long unattended cook. 
Thanks for the clarification Keith. I just didn't want Ben C thinking that you were running without help! I like comparing apples to apples not apples to oranges!

Case i bet it would have gotten close to the same fuel usage with just the reflectix though...just didn't feel like making manual adjustments with it bundled up.  The crappy weather and SuperBowl Sunday could have had something to do with that ;) 

The other thing that makes it not a apples to apples comparison is as you know i don't use any thermal mass.....it takes more energy to power pass the mass  and into the meat i think that makes a difference also.    edit...  That and that more direct radiant energy speeds the cook up.

Last edited:

Dirtsailor

Did you leave out the water pan?
Ben,

I dont use a water pan in any of my smokers. In the mini I do use a diffuser. For this smoke I had in my chunk of granite that I use. For the sear I remove the pot from the smokey joe base and use the grill.

That is what I was wondering, how you got the sear.

Nice looking cook!
Yep the mini is great for that. I have several grill grates so I just pull the pot, slip a grate on the smokey joe and good to go. If it hadn't been dark out I would've gone caveman style like Kieth did with his chicken and thrown the steaks right on the coals!

Wow, so you caveman sear steaks and thighs? Looks great Keith!!! Maybe I will get brave enough to try that some day. 
Suie...you'll love it!     If you throw chicken parts in the fire you can really coat it with the fire to sear and caramelize it all over.   It doesn't take long though!  Blow off the coals and throw them in, just be there with tongs to flip them and pull them off pretty fast.     Steaks are great  because the sear so quick and easy...no need for sear marks it's all about the flavor!

Last edited:

Suie...you'll love it!     If you throw chicken parts in the fire you can really coat it with the fire to sear and caramelize it all over.   It doesn't take long though!  Blow off the coals and throw them in, just be there with tongs to flip them and pull them off pretty fast.     Steaks are great  because the sear so quick and easy...no need for sear marks it's all about the flavor!
Okay, you've convinced me!! I thought the meat would get covered with charcoal dust....so it sounds like blowing off the coals is key. Those thighs do look nicely seared!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky