German Bologna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
This is another Owens mix , and it's a good one . I was waiting on some muslin bags , and was wanting to do the Len Poli pork roll clone . Bags finally got here last week .
I had 2 lbs of pork cushion and 1 lb of bacon . I've had the German Bologna mix for awhile , and decided to use that instead .
I like doing smaller batches for a couple reasons . I enjoy doing it . I think smaller batches give a better end result , and fresh is better . In my experience it's never the same after freezing .
Anyway , I do my normal of cut grind and mix the first day , then stuff the next day . I also did 8 lbs. of Andouille from pork butt along with the bologna .
So , first time using the cloth bags . Followed a tip for rinsing the bags then wringing them out . Stuffed 2 smaller chubs .
20210111_073214.jpg 20210111_073220.jpg
So while I was waiting for the chubs to dry a bit , and come up in temp I figured I'd make a sandwich .
Fried up a couple patties , and a couple eggs .
20210111_075305.jpg 20210111_075258.jpg
Stacked up and add some cheese . Put some slider buns on to catch some steam .
20210111_075935.jpg 20210111_080006.jpg
20210111_080158.jpg 20210111_080236.jpg
Had the smoker heating up . Set the Auber to 130 . Hung the chubs in the smoker to dry for 1 hour .
Then smoked with oak pellets with a tube in the mailbox for 2 hours . After 2 hours of smoke , I took the tube out ,
and bumped the smoker temp to 165 . I've started doing a smoke / cook method instead of bumping temps every hour .
Hit 152 internal temp at about the 9 hour mark . Sometimes I'll just shut the smoker off and leave it in there overnight .
This time I pulled them and hung in the basement overnight . It's around 60 degrees in the workshop .
No water bath . I was watching TV in there , smelled great . That 2 hour smoke is perfect for this .
20210111_203138.jpg 20210111_203130.jpg
I couldn't hardly stand it . Got up this morning and went right to the basement .
Got some good shrink on them . They look great . I really like the bags .
20210112_055211.jpg 20210112_055214.jpg
Time for some breakfast .
I was a bit worried about peeling the bags off . Cut down the side , comes off pretty easy .
20210112_061633.jpg 20210112_055632.jpg
Taste and texture is perfect . Amount of smoke for bologna is perfect .
20210112_055828.jpg 20210112_060154.jpg
This mix has great bologna flavor . I also think using bacon in the mix really adds to it .
So thanks for looking , and if you order from Owens , grab some German bologna .

Thanks JC . It's really good . Taste like bologna . LOL . I love those bags too .

Looks real good from here Chop!!
I used the bags for the first time right before Christmas and I like them.

Reactions: chopsaw
Nice wtg chop

Reminds me of Kings and Stoltzfus bologna when we lived in Ephrata, pa.

Looks really good! Now if you would just pass a slice or two through my screen I'd be better!

Ryan

Always neat to see how things are done differently around the country. Muslin bags are not a thing here in south Louisiana. First time I ever saw them was on this forum. I'm not a big commercial bologna fan, but homemade...I do like it. Yours looks great chop.

Looks real good from here Chop!!
I used the bags for the first time right before Christmas and I like them.
Thank you Dan . Yup . The bags are cool . Gives a great look .
Nice wtg chop

Reminds me of Kings and Stoltzfus bologna when we lived in Ephrata, pa.
Thank you sir . The tip on rinsing the bags then wringing out worked great .
I just took a tour of the Stoltzfus web site . Good stuff . Here's one for you if your interested . About 40 minutes from me .
Man that looks great! Nice work
Thanks Jake . I've had it for breakfast and a mid morning snack .

Looks really good! Now if you would just pass a slice or two through my screen I'd be better!
Thanks Bud . If I could I would . Lol .

Looks great Rich! Is that a single or double grind? LOL White Castle mug!
I'm glad you asked . I've had that grinder for 5 years or so . That's the first time I used the small plate . So , 1 grind through the small plate . Worked great for this .
I knew you'd like the mug . Used to be able to buy the coffee that came with that mug . I've had that for years . Got it on their website .
Thanks for the comments .

That bologna and slider plate look out of this world Chop. Nice work

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky