German Bologna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Excellent work Chopsaw ! I have those very same bags and have yet to use them. What did you think of the bacon adding to the salt content?
Thanks Joe . The taste and texture is perfect . I don't think the bacon added to the salt . Might notice it more fried , but it's really good .
I think you'll like the bags . I'm going to do a smoked salami with them next .
I also did a Len Poli Nuremberg brat formula that used bacon . It was good too .

Reactions: poacherjoe
Gezz I missed this. Looks great. I really like the bags, one thing is its much easier and I am lazy.

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks like you hit the nail on the head. Nice job.
That's for the comment Ron .

Gezz I missed this. Looks great. I really like the bags, one thing is its much easier and I am lazy.
Adam , it's really good . I like it better than the Red barn myself . The bags are awesome . I bought 25 , should have gotten more . Thanks for looking .

Hey chopsaw chopsaw I saw in a different thread that you are about to run some more German Bologna.

I ran some last week for my trial run and that Owen's German Bologna seasoning is pretty good stuff I was amazed at how they nailed the subtle flavor of bologna!!
I'm now all in on Owen's. I feel like other brands simply make everything tasted like polish or summer sausage and branch from there with their seasonings. Not this seasoning it is bologna flavor. Not too mild no too strong just right there on it.

Thanks for the suggesting their seasoning.

Next time I will cold smoke and then try SV. This trial run was 3 pounds 73/27 beef in a 4" diameter clear fibrous casings (seems smaller). I smoked overnight and was lazy about it but had so the meat was held at 154F and never went over. The casing was basically glued to the meat when I went to peel it but didnt hurt anything. I think having it go so long in the smoker may be been the reason. I tried hot water to loosen it up but no go.

I plan to move up to 5-3/4" diameter casings once I perfect this. It's the largest diameter I have found:

Ever find a larger diameter fibrous casing for this stuff?

• Love
Reactions: mossymo and chopsaw
TSM sells a 4 7/8 " red bologna casing .
Are the ones you used protein lined ? Makes them stick to the surface for dry curing . I had some once and had to soak them in cold water to get them to peel .

Yup . I've never had anything from Owens that I didn't like . This German Bologna is spot on like you said . I fried some up un smoked this morning . It's really good like that . I stuffed a 2 lb. chub , and made the leftover into patties and froze them to be cooked from raw .

I have the chub hanging now . I've started using Marianski's routine of smoke then cook . I completely dried the chub this morning . Hung at room temp about 3 hours under the ceiling fan .
Goes in the MES at 130 for 3 hours with smoke already going . Then the Auber ramps up to 160 until an IT of 152 ish . I like beech pellets for this . Post smoke I'll hang overnight in the basement . I like the shrunk up look .

TSM sells a 4 7/8 " red bologna casing .
Are the ones you used protein lined ? Makes them stick to the surface for dry curing . I had some once and had to soak them in cold water to get them to peel .

Yup . I've never had anything from Owens that I didn't like . This German Bologna is spot on like you said . I fried some up un smoked this morning . It's really good like that . I stuffed a 2 lb. chub , and made the leftover into patties and froze them to be cooked from raw .

I have the chub hanging now . I've started using Marianski's routine of smoke then cook . I completely dried the chub this morning . Hung at room temp about 3 hours under the ceiling fan .
Goes in the MES at 130 for 3 hours with smoke already going . Then the Auber ramps up to 160 until an IT of 152 ish . I like beech pellets for this . Post smoke I'll hang overnight in the basement . I like the shrunk up look .

I don't know if the casing was protein lined I just bought what Owen's had so it would all come t the same time. I put pictures below. As you can see it lost some size and got crinkly since I abandoned it over night and knew it would hold at 154F in my smoker so I didn't pull right when it was ready. That may be a major reason why it stuck to the meat.

I put about 2hrs of maple smoke on this thing. It was a 3 pound chub. After any moisture weight loss (no fat out) and me cutting off the round ends and eating them I had 2 pounds sliced and vac sealed.

I have another 3 pounds of 72/27 beef to use for trial run 2 where I will just cold or low heat smoke for 2 hours or so and then I'll vac seal it and SV at 145F for like 8-12 hrs (over night) or however long till I can get to it. This may give me more of a non wrinkled store bought look and maybe the casing will peel off this time. If it doesn't then I know it is likely a protein lined one lol.

Good luck with yours and enjoy the pics of my 1st run :)

HqCC9BJ.jpg

lBoBtqf.jpg

lQNkfAj.jpg

Oh BTW I measured out the Owens German Bologna and Maple Cure so it could be used by weight in any 1 pound increment you can think of :)

1 Pound of Owen's German Bologna Ingredients table
Ingredient
Amount Weight (gm)
Notes
Owens German Bologna Seasoning6gmDoes not contain binder so add that seperately.
Owens Maple Cure8gmComes as separate pack with seasoning, is like Tender Quick and is not cure #1 alone but a blend of things and cure #1.
You must use the Maple Cure to get the full flavor they intend. You likely wont get the intended flavor if avoid the Maple Cure and just use cure #1.
NDFM (binder)4.5gmNo binder in the seasoning so buy it separately and add it to the mix. You can use a different binder but I don't have measurements for it, simply use recommended amount of binder for 1lb of sausage or convert this to your type of alternative binder.
Water1-2 flozThey give a range I broke it down to 1-2 floz per pound and worked out great so no guess work needed anymore :) (typed wrong number earlier, correcting now)
Sausage Meat1lbI used 73/27 ground beef because it was on sale at the store and I didn't want to grind anything for my test runs. This was an was an easy, fool proof, cost effective strategy for a trial run :)

Last edited:
OMG I cannot like enough for the info for the Owens cure! I did not see that before. THANKS

Also, how was the maple smoke?

Reactions: tallbm
My directions have a per pound amount on them . You saying you converted that to weight using that info ?
The cure blend that comes with it definitely adds to the flavor .
The sodium erythorbate in the seasoning mix adds to it as well , as far as texture goes . That's something that sets their seasonings apart from others that don't use it . Does more than exellerate the curing .
Mines coming 'round the bend at 142 . Hits 150 I'm gonna shut it down .
20211001_154125.jpg
SV at 145F for like 8-12 hrs (over night) or however long till I can get to it.
Be careful with that . I do 60 mm at 140 for 6 hours . Then ice bath to cool as fast as possible . I'm talking a cooler with ice , add the chubs , then cover with ice .
I know you don't need me to tell you how to do it , but I've had the liquid separate from the chub assuming I could just let it ride 'til I was ready . I wouldn't call it fat out , but it wasn't good .
That temp for the length of time is to much in my experience . Maybe you have done it with good results though .

BTW , the sausage looks really good .

OMG I cannot like enough for the info for the Owens cure! I did not see that before. THANKS

Also, how was the maple smoke?
Hahaha glad you liked the info.

Maple smoke was great! It's what I read was used for bologna and is my favorite general smoke flavor. Most people go Oak but Maple is not as strong and has more character to it IMO.

My directions have a per pound amount on them . You saying you converted that to weight using that info ?
The cure blend that comes with it definitely adds to the flavor .
The sodium erythorbate in the seasoning mix adds to it as well , as far as texture goes . That's something that sets their seasonings apart from others that don't use it . Does more than exellerate the curing .
Mines coming 'round the bend at 142 . Hits 150 I'm gonna shut it down .
View attachment 512137

Be careful with that . I do 60 mm at 140 for 6 hours . Then ice bath to cool as fast as possible . I'm talking a cooler with ice , add the chubs , then cover with ice .
I know you don't need me to tell you how to do it , but I've had the liquid separate from the chub assuming I could just let it ride 'til I was ready . I wouldn't call it fat out , but it wasn't good .
That temp for the length of time is to much in my experience . Maybe you have done it with good results though .

BTW , the sausage looks really good .

My directions had a volume per pound (teaspoons) with their seasoning and cure but everything else was measured for 25 pounds of sausage.

I weighed out the teaspoons to get their weight.
It had NDFM and Water for 25 pounds of meat lol, so I just converted the water and looked up my notes for NDFM for 1 pound of sausage.

I fried up my test patty and it was good to go!

I now have all ingredients in weight and water in floz.

Thanks for the SV tips. I only have like 2 SV attempts under my belt and 1 failed so I'll take any knowledgeable input I can get on the topic haha.

Since I have 4 inch casings I'm thinking 140F for 8 hrs maybe due to the extra thickness. Thoughts on that idea? Still too long maybe?
I had looked up some charts/info for my upcoming SV bologna attempts but didn't find anything I was very satisfied with so I figured at those lower temps I would guarantee pasteurization. I knew nothing about liquid separation lol. I did some chicken sausage that had liquid separation like you mention, not good. I thought it may have just gotten a little too hot and fatted out etc.

Gonna be a quick post but want to get in before I head out. Just took a look at my Red Barn and just the typical 25lb info and comes with speed cure not maple. Owens uses MSG and it is a big part of whay their mixes rock. AC Leggs does not have it but I add it. I am also with Rich and that SV time and temp is pretty high in my book but have never ran it.

Gonna be a quick post but want to get in before I head out. Just took a look at my Red Barn and just the typical 25lb info and comes with speed cure not maple. Owens uses MSG and it is a big part of whay their mixes rock. AC Leggs does not have it but I add it. I am also with Rich and that SV time and temp is pretty high in my book but have never ran it.

chopsaw chopsaw liked their Red Barn too I think. Thanks for the input on the SV. I'll have to do much more research. It's not on the books for this weekend... but could wind up being done if I get a wild hair and defrost the other 3 pounds of 73/27 beef I have haha :D

Here's the chart I use . Table 5.1
4 " is 100 mm so if you double 50 mm at 140 you get 5 hours . My time posted above was a first attempt and had time added just in case . I would add some to that time for the size , or look and see how the time increases as the size does . Since it doesn't list 100 mm . Make sense ?
I have to say Dave helped me with all this when I first started . I do it myself now , but he was the help that taught me how to do this . Hams as well . Very important to me to note where I gained the knowledge .

I weighed out the teaspoons to get their weight.
When we make bologna , we'll have to come down to Texas so we can use your tsp . LOL . sorry . Couldn't help myself . It's all close enough for this .

It had NDFM and Water for 25 pounds of meat lol, so I just converted the water and looked up my notes for NDFM for 1 pound of sausage.
The directions should be for 25 pounds , 12 1/2 pounds or per pound for smaller batches .
I've mentioned before that I add the NFDM and liquid slowly , and just until it comes together .
My thought is , I'm using all pork butt and the fat amount and salt plays into that . The fat percentage differs from cut to cut .
So I add the water and NFDM in small amounts just until it gets sticky .
This batch was 2.5 pounds . I used 1 1/2 TBL of NFDM and 3/4 cup water .

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Just received my Owen's German Bologna Seasoning and 4x20 clear fibrous casings ( wish I had bigger) and got 2 - 5# chubs of 73/27 burger.
My plan was; for 10#
Using 106 grams. (Full seasoning packet is 263 grams )
84 grams. ( Full Maple Cure is 209 grams )
1/2 cup NFDM
1 1/4 cup water Approx.
3 hrs smoke time @ 130°
6 hrs SV @ 153°
Ice bath
Does this sound right or am I out of bounds ?

• Love
Reactions: mossymo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky