Gel firestarter.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sdkid

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 14, 2015
Pierre, SD
Are they all the same? The little bottle that I got from Amazen is spendy compared to whats available locally. Just not sure if they are same to use around food.

All I can say is from watching a couple of different shows on TV, one in particular is "Man-Fire-Food"
They always light and use wood fires and wood coals, a lot of the time, I see them starting fires with oils, kerosene etc.
It does raise an eye brow with me, and I don't use liquids except for left over food oils and grease.
My guess is, it must be ok, and if you do use gel, just use enough to get something going.

I just use a small camping-sized propane bottle with a plumbing torch head to light the pellets for my Amazen tube and maze. No gel or liquid needed... The torch head is about $10 and lasts years (I've had mine 22 years and it's still going). The little propane bottles are about $3 and last me 1-2 years each. Torch the pellets for about 30 seconds, let burn for a little while, blow out and smoke away!

Gas torch is the way to go for lighting the Amazens. I recently picked up a "self igniting" one with an igniter built into it. This one came with a Mapp Gas canister. WOW! That works way better than propane! Lighting briquettes or lump I set a chimney on a propane side burner for a couple of minutes. I've stopped using lighter fluid or any other kind of accelerant. No need to singe any eyebrows.

I usually use either rubbing alcohol dripped over the end of the row with a syringe, or stuff a birthday candle thru the hole into the pellets and light the wick...but I have used a torch in the past with success.

Barry.

I was using the gel from amazen, it came with the tube. It is out and I am looking for a replacement. I'll try the torch alone and see how it goes. thanks everyone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky