GB flat jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jmiller

Original poster
Feb 8, 2018
Hello everyone!
Hoping you all can help me out. Tried my hand at making GB flat jerky. Put them in the smoker. They looked like they were going to turn out fantastic. When it came time to take them out and see if they were done every single piece of jerky was stuck to the rack. They weren’t burned, they were just stuck for unknowns reasons. What does everyone else do to keep them from sticking to the rack? Do I need to turn the smoke house temp down even more?

I seasoned the GB, rolled it out flat and placed on Q-Matz... smoked, cooked, removed and sliced... The matz Todd sells are awesome... I use some in my dehydrator also...

NESCO Beef Jerky 93-7 012.JPG

002.JPG

Reactions: slevin and SonnyE
I'm a bit more frugal.
I tried spraying my racks, but then spent a lot of time cleaning the sink. :mad:
So I turned right. I have canola oil in a bottle. I take a paper towel and fold a half-sheet into a pad, soak one end with Canola cooking oil, and wipe the oil onto my racks or mats.
The end result is a greased rack or mat, and clean up is throw away the paper towel dauber. ;)

I'm not against spray. I use the spray stuff on my pipe burner barby.

Dave, once again you have come up with a common sense idea that eluded me for years. Why use a jerky gun or flat stuffer tube, when you can just roll it out and then put the whole thing on the mat, and slice later? Geeze, so simple.

Neeley, morning... Well, I was told once, the secret to being efficient is laziness... Guess I fit that pretty good...

They are about 1" square... Trick photography...

I meant the 'pasture patties' in the first picture. LOL!
Could a mass of GB like that be smoked some for flavor (Thinking cold smoked), and then put in a Jerky Gun to be squirted into strips or sticks?
(As long as Pathogen temperatures are observed to sterilize. And Prague Powder, which is a given in my case.)

I've done it on the racks with just spray. It works, but since I bought some q-matz or frog-matz clones on Amazon (basically they are teflon coated fiberglass woven mats), nothing sticks to those. Easy to clean also.

You can also make stick ground jerky without a jerky gun. Just put down some wax paper, two dowels or paint stir sticks of the desired jerky thickness under the outer edges, plop in some meat, cover with another piece of wax paper and roll out with a rolling pin. Cut into strips or pieces with a knife and move to the smoking racks. I've done it this way and with jerky gun. I think the roll & cut is faster and I just toss out the paper when done to clean up.

Reactions: SonnyE
I prefer to wipe on Canola oil with a folded up paper towel pad, to spraying oil way beyond the target.
Instead of cleaning up an overspray mess, I drop the paper towel in the trash and wash my finners.
I'm lazier than Dave is.

Wait... I already said that up there.
Paul, Paul in New Jersey, I'm having a senior moment here....

Below is a pasteurization table.... If your smoker is 20 deg. F above the final cooking temperature, and you can best effort take the temp of the meat... A safe guess would be 1-2 hours above the final temp will safely pasteurize the meat.. Example.. meat temp 135 F... Once you can get a therm reading of 135, another 2 hours with the smoker at 155, the meat will be safe... These "educated, estimated" guesses come from tests that show... Meat will only get to within 15-20 deg. F of the smoker temp due to evaporative cooling due to moisture in the meat.. The 2 hour number is what I use to guarantee the meat is safe, in the event the therm reads low or the temp in the smoker is uneven and portions of the meat may be cooler ... Soooo, when the meat is at 135 for 22 minutes, add another 2 hours to be sure pasteurization has occurred.. by the end of the 2 hour hold over, you should have super pasteurized meat which is a log 12 reduction in bacteria if all goes well..
Following the pasteurization tables, there is no need to overheat meat and have a fat out...

pasteurization ground meattable 3.jpg

Perfect thanks! I am gonna be attempting some GB jerky this weekend and I want to make sure I'm all prepared.

You guys are going to force me to do some flat jerky now hahaha. I usually do it in stick form with my jerky gun because I can fit more on a rack but man I like the simplicity of flat, smoke, cut.

I have about 30 pounds of 99% lean ground venison I can do with this but it may take me like 8 smokes to do it all hahaha

I was gonna do it with my gun until I saw this post. As Dave pointed out.... but then I'd have a gun to clean.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky