GARY's PRIME RIB AND PORK BUTT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
GARY’s PRIME RIB AND PORK BUTT
I have been in the mood for Prime Rib for a while, so I pulled one out of the freezer and into the Fridge for a slow thaw. My wife asked me, since I was already going to smoke would I throw on a Pork Butt for one of my Grandsons friends’ family. I said well if I am going to do that I need to do some beans, links and BBQ sauce.

So here we go……

11/10/15      Outside Temp. 49°

6:30 AM ---  Fired up smoker, Pulled Butt out of Fridge   

7:00 AM ---  Prepped Butt, EVOO & My Rub

7:30 AM  --- Smoker at 250°, Put the Butt on

8:30 AM ---  Rendered bacon, added onions and Jalapeño pepper, beans

and other seasonings.

9:00 AM  --- Beans on, added another split, still rocking along at 250°

(Note :) added splits as needed to maintain 250 °

1:30 PM ---   Dampened back the heat to 225° put on Prime Rib pulled the

beans off.

Maintained 225° till end of smoke

2:00 PM ---  Links on

5:00 PM --- Pork Butt & Links ready

5:30 PM  ---Prime Rib Ready.

I pulled the Butt and got links, beans, sauce, buns and chips ready to deliver.

Prime Rib Rested on the counter for about 20 min.

I picked up several of these $6.99 lb

Bears school of cross cuts

Some L&P Thick and SPOG

Wrapped and back in the fridge till smoke time

Pork Butts $.97 lb

Butt with EVOO and my Rub

Beans waiting on their turn

Butt had been on about an hour and a half before

I put the beans on

Prime Rib out of the fridge and resting quietly

waiting on its turn

You can see all that great flavor dripping down

into the beans

Close up

Prime Rib on, Beans are off

Added the links

I sneaked a shot of the PR

Shot of the Beans after they were smoked and stirred

to blend in all that great dripping flavor

I pulled the Butt and let it rest for a few, Temp was 208º

Another look

Bone slid right out, I did not wrap wanted a heavy bark

Butt pulled, everything ready to wrap and be delivered

And the real star of the smoke

Trimmed the bones out for me later on

And a couple of slices

This is super juicy and tender

This PR was fantastic,  If you have never had Smoked PR you have got to try this

ten times better than oven cooked.

Thanks for Looking

Gary

Holy Shoot !!
eek.gif

I was just about to get off my 'Puter, and this post popped up!!
sausage.gif

All of the meat & Beans look Perfect !!
drool.gif
--------------------
points.gif

I think you ought to be locked up for stealing those Butts down there!!!   97 cents ---Sheeesh!! 
police2.gif

Nice Job Gary, and Fantastic Post !!
icon14.gif

Bear

Last edited:

Holy Shoot !!
eek.gif

I was just about to get off my 'Puter, and this post popped up!!
sausage.gif

All of the meat & Beans look Perfect !!
drool.gif
--------------------
points.gif

I think you ought to be locked up for stealing those Butts down there!!!   97 cents ---Sheeesh!! 
police2.gif

Nice Job Gary, and Fantastic Post !!
icon14.gif

Bear
Had a good teacher !!    Thanks for the compliment and Point

If shipping wasn't so high I would send you some of those cheap butts.

Gary

Reactions: Bearcarver
HO.  LEE.  COW!  Nice work Mr Gary!

Looks like a lot of happy people around your area, and some jealousy here on the net!  The PR looked spot on.  I too trim off the ribs for "later".

I love to cook beans under a butt or brisket like you do.  Makes for a great flavor.

HO.  LEE.  COW!  Nice work Mr Gary!

Looks like a lot of happy people around your area, and some jealousy here on the net!  The PR looked spot on.  I too trim off the ribs for "later".

I love to cook beans under a butt or brisket like you do.  Makes for a great flavor.
Thanks CB   It was good    Shhhhhh   on the beans or everyone will know.

Pork was a big hit at my grandsons friends house     Probably monday I'll be making some breakfast sausage

for some friends of ours

Gary

Oh my. I'd eat that. :drool. I love PR, but the wife has to have everything cooked till its flavor less and dry as cardboard. I couldn't abuse a PR like that....

Gosh that looks good.. Thumbs Up

Holy smoking jahosaphat Dang it Gary that looks great - Nice job 

A full smoker is a happy smoker and yours looked very happy!!! 
points.gif

DS

drool.gif
Wow what a great looking job need some more friends? Hey you could ship to Bear he pay freight and I could pick some up there only about 6 hours from me. again another fine job by one of the masters. 
points.gif

Hey Thanks guys  and for the points

Gary

Gary. It jus' don't no better'n that. The butt was spot on. I'm going to have to get my wife to split the next beans with me and we'll have a showdown. Hers have always been wonderful. The PR looked great. The inside color was awesome and the slices looked excellent. When our new Restaurant Depot is open, or somebody decides to give me a rib roast, I'll try one. I have to look twice before putting that much money in my smoker.

Thanks for all the pics. It was a great learning experience, as usual. :points:

Everything looks great Gary!  
icon14.gif
  That rib roast came out awful purty!  If it tasted as good as it looked, you had some happy eaters at your house.  Been a while since I smoked a rib roast.  I think I've got a couple still in the freezer...might be time to thaw one of them out!  I'm a little stingy with these roasts cuz their so dang expensive!  It's been a while since I've seen any for $6.99 in my neck of the woods.

Nicely done!  

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Red

Thanks so much Joe and Red, I appreciate it.

Gary

Hey Gary

Now just exactly WHY did you have to post this an hour and a half before supper time???????  Gonna have to use up the better part of a roll of paper towel to dry off my keyboard, I'm drooling so much.  
drool.gif

The prime rib looks great, but its the butt that really has me going.  You wanted heavy bark, and boy did you get it right!!!!!

And the beans, well..................

All in all a really GREAT smoke.

points.gif

Gary

Thanks Gary

Gary

Great job Gary! Love that roast. Back to cooking supper..... cooking crawfish etouffee. Gonna have it over fried catfish.... Oh yeah baby!

I was just complaining to the butcher today that we've had two price drops in butts but all I can do is debone 'em and freeze 'em right now its just to dang hot to make andouille, sausage or tasso. Soon as it cools off enough you'll go back up on the prices. Down now to .89/lb. She told me not to fret, she just ordered for her special stock 800 cases so she'll be able to hold prices for the good customers! Yes, smoking meats does have its advantages.......... She commented that she was outta bacon and andouille.

Great looking smoke!

Thank's Brian.      Busy Week ?  I'll bet your ready to fire up that new smoker 

Gary

Wow Gary. Another great cook.

Wish I lived closer I would be knocking.

Thank's Brian.      Busy Week ?  I'll bet your ready to fire up that new smoker 

Gary
Yeah  I just got back today.  Three more trips and I'm done for the year!  Thanks for asking man.

So was thinking about a brisket... But see a 50% chance of rain for the weekend! Dang it! 

Gary this may be your best smoke yet! You've got three of the four major food groups on the grate! 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky