Gary is Gone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
OMG!
I can’t believe that!
Gary was younger than you & I John, right?
I thought he knew he more about brisket than any other member.
He helped me a lot with his threads.
Prayer’s to his family!
Al

OMG!
I can’t believe that!
Gary was younger than you & I John, right?
I thought he knew he more about brisket than any other member.
He helped me a lot with his threads.
Prayer’s to his family!
Al

Yes Al, He was only 69 years old.
He was my Goto on Brisket, and the guy I referred people to on Brisket, and some other Smoked Meats.
RIP My Friend, Gary.

Bear

That is horrible news, Bear...Gary was a good dude, and he was always willing to help others out.
May the good Lord lift everyone that was close to Gary up in his arms.

Godspeed too Gary.

Hate to hear this, prayers for the family. not sure why they cant stop or cure cancer but it affects a lot of my family. maybe 1 day :emoji_disappointed:

Reactions: Bearcarver
Extremely saddened by this! Gary was top notch and loved helping folks… especially simplifying the process of smoking brisket! He sure helped me and I’ll miss PM’s back and forth! Prayers for his family and Rest In Peace my friend!

I hope one day we can globally eradicate cancer, it’s a horrible disease that effects almost everyone if not everyone at some point in life!

Last edited:
I had just learned of Garys passing this morning while on a business trip. Such a wonderful guy and a great Inspiration to many. I was always envious of his garden. His brisket work was the best on the site. Gary was always talking about his family which you knew he enjoyed. He made me proud to be a Texan. I wish you Godspeed Gary.

Sad news for us. My best friend called me last night to tell me his brother has pancreatic cancer, and probably only a few days left. Cancer does suck.
Sad for us, but I'm sure Gary is up there swapping stories with Pops and Scarbelly right now.

I never met Gary. Never met any of you in person, but I have my favorites, as I'm sure we all do. When I was looking to build an rf patio smoker, I followed Gary's builds, always checking to see what he was up to, as he seemed to always be starting something new or tweaking an old build. Long story short, my smoker is approaching a decade old, and features some of Gary's ideas, most notably the barrel firebox with the flat top. When the kids got hungry but the smoke wasn't done, I could always throw burgers and dogs on that until the adult meat was done. Gary's designed saved me from a lot of catchin' hell!

"Gary S." is Gone

I’m sorry to have to bring the news to SMF that Gary S. (East Texas) Has passed away on 8-11-21, after losing his battle with Cancer.
He will be severely missed by his Wife “Bobbie”, and a very close extended family.
I will miss Gary too, as the SMF family will remember him always.
Gary & I have been close Forum Friends for years, and in my book, he made the Best Briskets I’ve ever seen!!

I only met Gary & his Wife Bobbie one time, Summer before last, when they stopped at my house, after visiting with one of his Sons, who was working in Jersey. Gary brought me some Fresh Flounder from Jersey, and I Grilled a pile of Pork Roll, because he had never had "Pork Roll Sammies" before. They loved the Sammies & we had a Great time, in the short time they could stay, before hitting the road back to Texas.

R.I.P. Gary Spriggs

Bearcarver
as in any forum/community it is sad to hear of the loss of contributor. From the outpouring here, I can tell Gary was a cared for contributor. I'm new here, but hate to the loss of anyone who shares unconditionally.. RIP Gary

Wow so sad to hear his contributions on the forum were helpful to so many.
When I came to the forum Gary was the first member to contact me and I had many contacts with him. His bake bean recipe is my go to for bake beans. Rest now in the hands of our almighty Father and be at peace.

Warren

"Gary S." is Gone

I’m sorry to have to bring the news to SMF that Gary S. (East Texas) Has passed away on 8-11-21, after losing his battle with Cancer.
He will be severely missed by his Wife “Bobbie”, and a very close extended family.

j

R.I.P. Gary Spriggs

Bearcarver

Jesus Wept, John. This is the first I've heard of this. August, I was working 7 days a week--not much spare time.
I'm lost for words. So very sad.
Gary

Gary, I knew this. We live in a strange time. We can connect and never see one another, share ideas, thoughts and philosophies, and disappear just as quickly as we came. I never met Gary S. but I've got something in my back yard that has his stamp all over it and will last me another twenty plus years, and for that I'm grateful. He answered all my novice questions without snickers or judgment.
I remember reading that he and his son tinkered with, and built, smokers on a regular basis. That's something to be admired. I've only daughters, but one is an excellent cook at a young age. I should spend time teaching her smoking this summer, as if I know anything about it. "Teach your children well". Just like Gary S., we're all gone one day.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky