Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
As Steve said they will last at least 1 year after opening. I have had them for at least 15 months & at that point they start to soften up. You can always try a jar & see how it tastes to you. If you like the flavor just release the vacuum in all the jars. If you want them a little stronger then just vac it back up & check it again in a couple of days.
Al

Dammit i got buzzed and gave all my pickles away to the neighbors last night. Guess i need to make a new batch!

Ha Ha !! I do that kind of stuff all the time. And I wake up in the morning & Judy tells me what I did & I just can't believe it. I can't tell you how many party's I have planned & woke up in the morning & didn't even remember inviting anybody over. Part old age, but mostly alcohol!!
At least the pickles are easy to make. Last Christmas I invited a bunch over for a Prime rib dinner, next day Judy says we need to get a Prime rib roast, and I said for what!
Needless to say about $100 later I had the roast & of course you have to have some sides & appetizers, so I made some ABT's & the other folks brought the sides & dessert. It was a good time, but I have to stop doing this!!
Al

Been wanting to make a batch of these pickles ever since I ran across this thread over the winter and the time has finally arrived! The garden has yielded onions, garlic, dill and a bumper crop of cukes all at once.
IMG_20190804_202242911 (1).jpg

Only time enough to make one batch right now and since I vacuum packed them they should be ready about the time I get back home.

Reactions: banderson7474
Been wanting to make a batch of these pickles ever since I ran across this thread over the winter and the time has finally arrived! The garden has yielded onions, garlic, dill and a bumper crop of cukes all at once.
View attachment 402259
Only time enough to make one batch right now and since I vacuum packed them they should be ready about the time I get back home.

Let us know how you like them!
Al

My garden pickles are almost ready! I started gathering my ingredients. I picked I’m up a small tin of alum and now I am confused. It says on it to wash the veg with a 1/4 tsp mixed with 1L of water. It then says “Do not add alum directly to the final picking brine”. I’m confused?

My garden pickles are almost ready! I started gathering my ingredients. I picked I’m up a small tin of alum and now I am confused. It says on it to wash the veg with a 1/4 tsp mixed with 1L of water. It then says “Do not add alum directly to the final picking brine”. I’m confused?

Every recipe I've ever seen has the alum added to the brine. I put it in each jar with the other spices, and pour the hot brine over it. If you are unsure about using the alum, you can use Ball pickle crisp. It's a different mix, but does the same thing. They both keep the pickles very crispy.
Al

Every recipe I've ever seen has the alum added to the brine. I put it in each jar with the other spices, and pour the hot brine over it. If you are unsure about using the alum, you can use Ball pickle crisp. It's a different mix, but does the same thing. They both keep the pickles very crispy.
Al
I trust your recipe and the way you make these pickles! I just wanted to be sure that you add the alum to each jar! Can't wait to try these thanks for posting the recipe! My dill is about 4' tall now and I have tons of pickling cukes. I Will have to try some spicy ones as well!

I trust your recipe and the way you make these pickles! I just wanted to be sure that you add the alum to each jar! Can't wait to try these thanks for posting the recipe! My dill is about 4' tall now and I have tons of pickling cukes. I Will have to try some spicy ones as well!

I like the spicy ones as well. Easy to do too. Just add a few slices of jalapenos. I brought two jars to Myrtle beach with us. They're almost gone.

My dill is pretty much gone, I may have enough to make one or two jars of pickles. And for sure try the spicy ones!
Al

I like the spicy ones as well. Easy to do too. Just add a few slices of jalapenos. I brought two jars to Myrtle beach with us. They're almost gone.

They are hard to stop eating them once you get started!!
Al

I opened a jar of jalapeno slices last night for nachos , ended up eating them right from the jar .

I opened a jar of jalapeno slices last night for nachos , ended up eating them right from the jar .

Yep, pretty soon all the members on here will be making these pickles.
And the recipe works for just about any vegetable. I really like pickled onions!
Al

Let us know how you like them!
Well, after waiting five days from vacuum packing (easy since we were away for 4 of em) they did not disappoint. The cukes I used were a bit over-mature but they were good and crisp with nice flavor. We'll let some go longer and see how strong they get. Now I want to try some with hot cherry peppers added and even do some peppers by themselves.

Boy you guys are a bad influence. Keep up the good work!!:emoji_wink:

YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME!!!!! I LOVE GARLIC PICKLES!!

Between the sausage making and now the pickle making I am going to need 2 more refrigerators!!

Well, after waiting five days from vacuum packing (easy since we were away for 4 of em) they did not disappoint. The cukes I used were a bit over-mature but they were good and crisp with nice flavor. We'll let some go longer and see how strong they get. Now I want to try some with hot cherry peppers added and even do some peppers by themselves.

Boy you guys are a bad influence. Keep up the good work!!:emoji_wink:

Glad to hear you guys are enjoying the recipe!!
Al

Hey SmokinAl SmokinAl I was wondering where you got your vacuum cannisters from. I have a foodsaver with the hose...Im ordering the pint/quart attachment but would love some of the canisters you have.

Hey SmokinAl SmokinAl I was wondering where you got your vacuum cannisters from. I have a foodsaver with the hose...Im ordering the pint/quart attachment but would love some of the canisters you have.
Not speaking for Al. But, I was looking at these before I got the vac attachment instead. https://www.foodsaver.com/food-stor...MIncu039v74wIVkojICh1T0w-hEAQYASABEgI4ZvD_BwE

And these. From a couple of pics I saw from Al. The taller one looks like the one he uses.
https://www.foodsaver.com/food-stor...MIncu039v74wIVkojICh1T0w-hEAQYBCABEgL9UfD_BwE

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky