Game Day! Who Dat! Geaux Saints!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tbrtt1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Gumbo, tater salad, poppers and French bread. I’m ready.

upload_2019-1-13_15-36-13.jpeg

upload_2019-1-13_15-36-41.jpeg

Nice looking spread!

Unfortunately it appears nick Foles is ready as well! :)

Scott

That is some good looking gumbo!
I've never seen any that is that dark!
Do you have a recipe that you would share?
Al

The eagle's fly by an got distracted by that gumbo and forgot what they were doing. :emoji_laughing:

Awesome meal there I would forget what I was doing too.

Warren

All in the roux you use Al. A cajun dark roux will give you that dark color. Super caramelizing the onions and meat adds to it as well.

Best way to make a cajun dark roux is to take an old tarnished penny and set it next to the pot....that is the color you are looking for. When the roux is a couple shades lighter than the penny, turn the fire off/remove pan from heat, and keep stirring until the oil stops smoking because the flour is still cooking with the residual heat.

All in the roux you use Al. A cajun dark roux will give you that dark color. Super caramelizing the onions and meat adds to it as well.

Best way to make a cajun dark roux is to take an old tarnished penny and set it next to the pot....that is the color you are looking for. When the roux is a couple shades lighter than the penny, turn the fire off/remove pan from heat, and keep stirring until the oil stops smoking because the flour is still cooking with the residual heat.
Every time I eat gumbo I think of my dad who was an awesome cook and started teaching me to smoke HAWG when I was 15 years old. 62 years young now. Great memories watching him and his buddies smoke meat, drink the Jack Black and tell lies! Every year he made a HUGE pot of what he called WILD GAME GUMBO. He and I had harvested the critters earlier in that particular year. He made a perfect dark roux. The wild game meat was always doves, quail, ducks, rabbit, squirrel, wild turkey and deer meat. All boned out and cubed of course and the standard trinity vegetables and okry (okra) lol. His ole buddies are in their late 80's now and when I see any of them they still brag on his wild game gumbo. Dang, got me wanting to make a batch. Have a good un!

Reactions: crazymoon

Thank you, we always stop short of making it that dark, so next time I will give it a try!!
Al

That is some good looking gumbo!
Do you have a recipe that you would share?
Al

Al, believe it or not, it is a dry roux. They have gotten quite common in cajun world and do a darn good job. For chicken and sausage I usually use a dry roux as my time is valuable these days. If I do a seafood gumbo I almost always make the roux from scratch. My reasoning is I wanna dark roux and I want more control over the amount of roux taste when doing seafood gumbo. If ya use a dry roux you get it darker by using more of it (or you can cheat and put some Kitchen Bouquet in it to darken it up). In other words, I can make it real dark without having to use too much when I make a seafood gumbo so I don't over power the seafood.

Some dry rouxs are are better that others. My preference is Kary's dry roux. I have a place close by that carries it and I by a handful of jars to keep on hand. Tony Chachere's will do in a pinch but is better left to rice and gravy dishes.

Recipe:

About a quart give to take of stock, usually chicken (store-bought carton style usually or some base concentrate), brung to a boil in my cast iron pot. Whisk in dry roux a few table spoons at a time. When the stock gets dark and starts to thicken I add da goods. I can't give you a scientific way to tell when I have enough roux, I just know it when I see and taste it.

Da goods:
*1 to 1 1/2 bunch green onions (I usually buy 2 bunches and use about half a bunch for "garnish" when I serve).
*bunch of garlic (bout half a whole pod)
*1 or 2 bell peppers (depends on size)
*1 bay leaf
*bout 1 1/2 lbs of regular smoked sausage (I can get Savoie's, Richard's here in TX or I just use a good smoked sausage)
*bout 5 or 6 chicken thighs, skin removed and bone in (I remove the bones before serving)
*Season with whatever floats yer boat. I use Tony's or Zatarains or Louisiana. Whatever I got.

Not much to it. I find the less I fret over it and the simpler I keep it, the better it is. Get the roux going and dump everything in. Cook for a couple hours and serve over rice.

***Okra: always a bit controversial, even in Louisiana. Believe it or not, most of us don't put okra in our gumbo. I have lived all along I-10 in Louisiana from The Big Easy to Lafayette and it usually does not contain okra. Don't let anyone tell you it ain't gumbo if there is no okra. However, If I am eating it just for myself and no one else (don't laugh, I'll will damn sure make a gumbo just for me), I put a little okra in it.

Sorry for the long windedness.

Sounds like a good idea. Just don't use a shiny new penny! I usually go til it gets the color of a Hershey bar. Or til I get tired for stirring it! HA.

Al, believe it or not, it is a dry roux. They have gotten quite common in cajun world and do a darn good job. For chicken and sausage I usually use a dry roux as my time is valuable these days. If I do a seafood gumbo I almost always make the roux from scratch. My reasoning is I wanna dark roux and I want more control over the amount of roux taste when doing seafood gumbo. If ya use a dry roux you get it darker by using more of it (or you can cheat and put some Kitchen Bouquet in it to darken it up). In other words, I can make it real dark without having to use too much when I make a seafood gumbo so I don't over power the seafood.

Some dry rouxs are are better that others. My preference is Kary's dry roux. I have a place close by that carries it and I by a handful of jars to keep on hand. Tony Chachere's will do in a pinch but is better left to rice and gravy dishes.

Recipe:

About a quart give to take of stock, usually chicken (store-bought carton style usually or some base concentrate), brung to a boil in my cast iron pot. Whisk in dry roux a few table spoons at a time. When the stock gets dark and starts to thicken I add da goods. I can't give you a scientific way to tell when I have enough roux, I just know it when I see and taste it.

Da goods:
*1 to 1 1/2 bunch green onions (I usually buy 2 bunches and use about half a bunch for "garnish" when I serve).
*bunch of garlic (bout half a whole pod)
*1 or 2 bell peppers (depends on size)
*1 bay leaf
*bout 1 1/2 lbs of regular smoked sausage (I can get Savoie's, Richard's here in TX or I just use a good smoked sausage)
*bout 5 or 6 chicken thighs, skin removed and bone in (I remove the bones before serving)
*Season with whatever floats yer boat. I use Tony's or Zatarains or Louisiana. Whatever I got.

Not much to it. I find the less I fret over it and the simpler I keep it, the better it is. Get the roux going and dump everything in. Cook for a couple hours and serve over rice.

***Okra: always a bit controversial, even in Louisiana. Believe it or not, most of us don't put okra in our gumbo. I have lived all along I-10 in Louisiana from The Big Easy to Lafayette and it usually does not contain okra. Don't let anyone tell you it ain't gumbo if there is no okra. However, If I am eating it just for myself and no one else (don't laugh, I'll will damn sure make a gumbo just for me), I put a little okra in it.

Sorry for the long windedness.

Thank you so much!
Honestly I have never heard of a dry roux.
Going to have to look for some next trip to the store.
It sure would make things easy!
Al

Thank you so much!
Honestly I have never heard of a dry roux.
Going to have to look for some next trip to the store.
It sure would make things easy!
Al

Al, do an interweb search and you will see all kindsa stuff. Even the non dry roux in the jar will work.
upload_2019-1-16_7-43-0.png

I have only used Kary’s ( Both dry and wet but prefer dry), Tony’s and I used the Rajun Cajun a time or two. I think the Kary’s Works the best, Particularly for gumbo. Tonys works fairly well for gumbo and if you’re making rice and gravy, like a pot roast or smothered pork chops Tony’s seems well suited for that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky