Fridge Pickles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
I've been remiss in posting lately, so I figured I'd get off my backside and share. For whatever reason I've never made pickles at home. Done a zillion jars of peppers, but no pickles. Not growing cukes might be why, but I was given a huge bag of big cukes at work the other day and I said let's do it. I did a bit of reading, and apparently those aren't the right stuff for making pickles. Dug up this thread HERE from SmokinAl SmokinAl and read almost all of the 21 pages. Ended up buying a few bags of pickling cukes at the local sprawl mart and going to town. I followed the recipe for spicy as written, even used Alum as I was out of pickle crisp from making peppers last year. Anyhow, here's a short look at what I did.

Soaked in the ice water just a bit longer than 4 hours. Surely I can replace the dishwasher in less time than that 🤣 🤣
And that's a story for another day, but the job is done.... Had a bunch of different size cukes so slicing was consistent only in length, but hey.. they'll all eat.
20220710_133846.jpg

Prepped the jars
20220710_133840.jpg

Filled and vacuum sealed with the food saver jar attachment gizmo. Out of 4 lbs of cukes there were a few that didn't make the cut so I ended up with 6 pints
20220710_140352.jpg

I'm hopeful that vacuum sealing them really does shorten the wait. Gonna wait a week and try them out.
Thanks for looking, and have a fine day!

Everyone must have a separate fridge to store all these pickles :emoji_laughing:
I would need a couple fridges if I did mine as fridge pickles,
Hopefully I don't go crazy and make a ton more, as my beer fridge in the garage is on the small side and there's only so much room in the kitchen fridge.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Everyone must have a separate fridge to store all these pickles :emoji_laughing:
I would need a couple fridges if I did mine as fridge pickles,
But I like the idea, I used to do freezer jams , but they either got lost in the bottom or also took too much room in the freezer.

David
My garage frig is currently half pickles lol. Luckily neighbors snd friends are resolving that fairly quickly.

Everyone must have a separate fridge to store all these pickles
Mine has a dozen jars of pickles , and 6 jars of pickled radish .
A full packer , 2 beef knuckles , a 3 pound coppa in a Umia bag drying . A tub of hog casings , a tub of sheep casings , a 30 pack , 2 bottles of margaritas , fermenting pizza dough and 2 1/2 pounds of sausage grind .

Mine has a dozen jars of pickles , and 6 jars of pickled radish .
A full packer , 2 beef knuckles , a 3 pound coppa in a Umia bag drying . A tub of hog casings , a tub of sheep casings , a 30 pack , 2 bottles of margaritas , fermenting pizza dough and 2 1/2 pounds of sausage grind .

Holy Sugar
Where do you keep the milk and butter !!!
That is quite a mixed bag of goodies, love pickled radish
and how long do you keep your pizza dough in the fridge. 4 days is about my limit, than I must make Pizza.:emoji_grinning:

David

Good thing I have 3 fridges! Buy not near as good of stuff as chopsaw chopsaw ! But yes, beer, pickles, smoked cheese, and some other beverages!

Ryan

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Fresh dill is the way to go if you can get it. I still add dill seeds.

Did up some peppers yesterday. These will be stuffed with feta. Delicious!

20220727_033418 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: poacherjoe
Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
They look good.

Can you post recipe Jeff?
Steve did below. Note the salt in the handwritten sheet is for salting the sliced cucumbers NOT to put in the pickling solution. I’d add that to the original but it won’t let me edit it. People rave about these. Just took a jar to a sales meeting I hosted yesterday and they devoured an entire jar at lunch lol. They are really more of a mustard pickle than b&b.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky