Finally time for sugar free bread and butter pickles and pickled peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
2490F586-EBE1-433D-868F-55BD25E1D9A7.jpeg
Finally the local Amish stand I frequent has an abundance of pickle cukes and hot banana peppers. I love doing refrigerator bread and butter pickles and with leftover brine I do sweet hot pickled peppers.

cuke cut.jpg

Cukes cut and brining with salt on them. A bunch of cut up candy onions from the Amish market. Man they are very sweet this year. I let these set for about an hour before rinsing the cukes.
cuke in brine.jpg

Rinsed the cukes and now they are soaking in the hot vinegar solution for about an hour

cuke finished.jpg

I did a couple batches, here is todays, did about this many Sunday as well. Packed and headed to the frig.

peppers.jpg

Some of the hot banana peppers. Man they are pretty spicy for banana. I wear gloves to cut and partially seed them.
peppers cooking.jpg

I actually boil the peppers in the brine until they soften prior to packing them up.

finished peppers.jpg

A few of the peppers packed up. Did about double this again yesterday. I am fully addicted to these peppers as are most of my friends. They go as fast as I can make them lol. I am going to do another at least bushel of peppers worth this weekend with the abundance of leftover pickling solution I have.

pickle recipe.jpg

This is the basic recipe I use. I sometimes use all Splenda instead of the Golden Lankanto Monkfruit. You can sub sugar for Splenda and Brown sugar for the Golden Lankanto if you want. We are a keto clan LOL so everything I do is no sugar added. To this recipe I also add a very healthy slug of pre mixed pickling spice. I use about 1/2 to 2/3 of the tub in pic below for this batch.

pickling spice.jpg

I let the pickles and peppers sit in the frig. for 24 hours after a few liberal samples LOL. They are fantastic!! Only last about 3 - 4 weeks so these batches make many friends and neighbors happy. Now time to eat lol.

Last edited:
See if I got this right. Put salt on cuc's and let sit an hour. Rinse. Make up solution and bring to a boil. Put cuc's and onions in let sit one hour. Fill jars. Could just put onions and cuc's in jars than pour hot brine in like I do my other ones?

See if I got this right. Put salt on cuc's and let sit an hour. Rinse. Make up solution and bring to a boil. Put cuc's and onions in let sit one hour. Fill jars. Could just put onions and cuc's in jars than pour hot brine in like I do my other ones?
I think you could. You out missed the step of rinsing the salted cukes. I rinse them really well twice.

Jeff looks like you have Tbsp written next to the tsp on celery seeds? I gonna have to figure out how to re-scale this as usual. Not that you retired you may have to take donations for feeding the neighbor hood :emoji_wink:

Jeff looks like you have Tbsp written next to the tsp on celery seeds? I gonna have to figure out how to re-scale this as usual. Not that you retired you may have to take donations for feeding the neighbor hood :emoji_wink:
It's 10 tsp. I think off to the right I had changed inverter that to tbsp. Remember the salt is for salting the cukes only , none goes in the liquid.

Boy that's almost as much sugar as liquid. I don't use Splenda. I guessing can probably use any of my other ones? Sorry for all the questions Jeff.

Another nice batch of happiness there Jeff.

We have a couple 3 fridges and never would have that much room for all the pickles that is why I do the shelf stable pickling.

But your look very good, couple more weeks before we can start ours.

David

Reactions: jcam222
Boy that's almost as much sugar as liquid. I don't use Splenda. I guessing can probably use any of my other ones? Sorry for all the questions Jeff.
Sorry for the late response Brian. I've tweaked this a lot and even then sometimes it takes even more than the Splenda noted to get the flavor right. Many variables there with the spices and vinegars. I think you could use a different sweetener but with either erythritol or allulose I would expect it to take even more to achieve the correct flavor profile. These are meant to be very sweet tangy pickles. If it weren't nuclear temperature in Tx I'd try to ship you some so you could taste what you are shooting for. Not sure on how well they'd do in that heat.

Sorry for the late response Brian. I've tweaked this a lot and even then sometimes it takes even more than the Splenda noted to get the flavor right. Many variables there with the spices and vinegars. I think you could use a different sweetener but with either erythritol or allulose I would expect it to take even more to achieve the correct flavor profile. These are meant to be very sweet tangy pickles. If it weren't nuclear temperature in Tx I'd try to ship you some so you could taste what you are shooting for. Not sure on how well they'd do in that heat.
I got some Pure Monk Friut extract to use to make up the 30%. I think it will work good once I figure out how much to use. I doing these today. Splenda is not a natural sugar which worries be a little but probable OK. My Purecane is a 1 to 1 for sugar which is probably what I will use. I also got to do something with Blueberries and strawberries. Might just have to make more jam. Also making a Green Chile Stew. Guess I better get busy. I had to ship an amp back that I had replaced on one of my subs today. Guy in front of me sent two pillows back and cost him $90. Man those must of been some expensive pillows. I think I would of just kept them.

Last edited:
Well I managed to get them done. Cut recipe to 1/3. I got 5 pints and a quart of liquid left over. Now I need to find some green tomatoes. Left over liquid should work to make some green tomato Relish or pickle what ever you want to call them.

20230807_122512.jpg

Last edited:
Well I managed to get them done. Cut recipe to 1/3. I got 5 pints and a quart of liquid left over. Now I need to find some green tomatoes. Left over liquid should work to make some green tomato Relish or pickle what ever you want to call them.

View attachment 672871
Let me know how the relish goes with them. I'm someone several ideas for leftover brine. I usually use a lot to cook cut up banana peppers in. They are phenomenal. Another use is straining the mustard seed out for picked mustard seed. Real tasty garnish. Lastly mix that strained liquid with mayo makes an insanely good burger and sub sauce. All new adds to my arsenal this year that are keepers that also reduce waste.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Let me know how the relish goes with them. I'm someone several ideas for leftover brine. I usually use a lot to cook cut up banana peppers in. They are phenomenal. Another use is straining the mustard seed out for picked mustard seed. Real tasty garnish. Lastly mix that strained liquid with mayo makes an insanely good burger and sub sauce. All new adds to my arsenal this year that are keepers that also reduce waste.
The pickles are very good. Could of probably been a little sweeter. Maybe doing them in the pan like you do might of helped but so much easier just putting them in the jars first. I might do a water bath like you do when canning next time which would also make them shelf stable but they are very good. I got 2 lbs green tomatoes and just finished them. Got 3 jars. This is close to the profile and sure they going to be good. I strained liquid and added more seed. This are a staple here and always served with catfish. I have tried a few recipes and this lady the best.

20230810_075839.jpg

I opened jar of green tomato relish today. I should of processed in hot water bath like I normally do. The tomatoes to crisp. They need to be cooked a little. I going to let come to room temp and process them in water bath and try again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky