Fresno,TX pallet wood backyard smoke house

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

woodsman5150

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
I have not been here in a while,family and work have been steady.The desire and enjoyment of smoked meat never leaves me.I have read the "bacon makin" threads and I have always wanted to try this,after having success with making smoked deer sausage. I noticed alot of clean pallets behind some warehouses on the way home,one of the guys said take all you want.I picked the ones that were the cleanest and stamped US -HT turn out they are all of the red oak variety and new. I took my time in disassembly of these pallets,as not to ruin the planks. so I'd say about 10-12 pallets later picking up a couple each week for about two months creative thoughts filled my mind. Not a welder a mason or carpenter .My home was constructed in 2006
20171016_120652.jpg
20171017_083150.jpg
20171017_083210.jpg
had extra bricks in the garage. I bought was the 2 bags of concrete and exterior deck screws and hinge hardware. I will complete the roof and waterseal it this weekend I got some shingles from someones storm damage trash pile...welded square pipe to an old propane tank ....anyway here's what I got. I will post more of the build pics I got a chance at some great overtime. If you guy's see an issue let me know.

That is very cool. You're more of a handyman than you thought , I'd say. lol
Would like to see the exhaust on that, to keep smoke drawing in and flowing out.. how you did that part.
Good to meet ya.
Johnny B
Michigan

Last edited:
Reactions: woodsman5150
Nicely done.. It should work well for you... Looks like you are using the gaps in the boards for the exhaust... Perfect... Old timers did that, and it works very well.. Promotes uniform distribution of heat and smoke...
A few more test smokes to season the wood, and you will be golden....
If you find the smoker needs "tightening up" to reduce air leakage, you can add battens...
Thin narrow strips, nailed over the gaps between the boards.. Doesn't have to be on all the gaps... maybe every 3rd/4th/5th or so, just to reduce the leakage until the smoke and heat are what you desire... and the air infiltration is where you want it..

battens.jpg

I was going to suggest the battons as Dave did . If you do install some , fasten only one side of the joint . Lets the other side expand and contract . Since the wood looks pretty new .

I got some kitchen grade silcone,but I also have some extra planks left over to make the battons.
Thank you for that input. Any other thoughts are highly appreciated. We got some rain coming in TX so I need to "get at it".
Nicely done.. It should work well for you... Looks like you are using the gaps in the boards for the exhaust... Perfect... Old timers did that, and it works very well.. Promotes uniform distribution of heat and smoke...
A few more test smokes to season the wood, and you will be golden....
If you find the smoker needs "tightening up" to reduce air leakage, you can add battens...
Thin narrow strips, nailed over the gaps between the boards.. Doesn't have to be on all the gaps... maybe every 3rd/4th/5th or so, just to reduce the leakage until the smoke and heat are what you desire... and the air infiltration is where you want it..

View attachment 341398

I was going to suggest the battons as Dave did . If you do install some , fasten only one side of the joint . Lets the other side expand and contract . Since the wood looks pretty new .

You know what they say, "one man's junk is another's treasure". Nice looking smokehouse - like/point for creativity.

Enjoy can't wait to see it in action.

Chris

What type of welder do you have ?

I knew it was coming, I made the harbor freight super coupon 90amp mistake. I've never welded before but I'd like to learn.
If I could quit buying guns/scopes, I could buy a Miller welder,but that would turn into a whole new project every month.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky