Fresno,TX pallet wood backyard smoke house

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I knew it was coming, I made the harbor freight super coupon 90amp mistake. I've never welded before but I'd like to learn.
If I could quit buying guns/scopes, I could buy a Miller welder,but that would turn into a whole new project every month.
Wasnt judging, just asking . I have the same welder . If you are using the wire it came with switch it to a name brand . Makes a big difference. Also make sure 5he drive wheel is flipped the right way for 5he wire size you are using .

Reactions: woodsman5150
AND, if the welder doesn't make enough heat to weld the material you are trying to weld, you can preheat the metal with a propane torch or, I use a weed burner... makes welding easier and you get better penetration...
Like chopsaw noted, the wire feed drive wheel has serrated groves designed to push different diameters of wire... the drive wheel and wire tension is important... Pull the trigger with the wire against a 2x4 or something... the wire should not slip.. it should keep pushing and bend where it comes out of the gun tip... ALSO, wire speed makes a big deal... When all is adjusted properly, the wire melting should sound like a BUZZ..... smooth Buzz... no popping ...
Don't worry about the weld... the meat and smoke can't tell the difference....
Very nice build again....
Dave

That is really a great idea using the propane tank as the fire box ! i like it. May have to modify my smokehouse with that upgrade. You are doing a fantastic job on the smokehaus, can't wait to see some bacon hanging in it. I made my SH much the same way, using cinder blocks and old barnwood and cedar shingles. I will stay tuned to this thread.

HT

It really does look great . Nice job . I work with Carpenters that wouldn't know what a birds mouth was , let alone cut one .
Another comment on the welder , if you are using an extension cord try to plug it into the power without the cord .

Lets see some smoke !

Good lookin Smoke House. I usually say there are two types of wood smoke houses: those that have burnt down and those that will. But your design with the brick foundation and external metal firebox has made me back off that notion. Really well done.

20171017_083236.jpg
Ghanged my mind on the used shingles I found.I forgot I had a rivet set. I had two old sheets of corrugated metal. I cut off a 5" sliver and shaped it for a ridge
and riveted it with the two pieces for water flow,I kinda like the old "rustic" looking stuff.
20171021_095010.jpg
20171021_095721.jpg
20171021_101651.jpg
20171021_110850.jpg

nice project you got going ... tell me though, I seen your son in the pics ... he really did most of the work though ?? right ?? lol ...

Wasnt judging, just asking . I have the same welder . If you are using the wire it came with switch it to a name brand . Makes a big difference. Also make sure 5he drive wheel is flipped the right way for 5he wire size you are using .
I caught hell from my "Haliburton cousin" about that purchase. He's in Alaska stackin money,promising welding classes when he gets back. I could not wait so I tailgate fabricated my best. I got a roll of Lincoln flux core, I'll try it before I sell it.

nice project you got going ... tell me though, I seen your son in the pics ... he really did most of the work though ?? right ?? lol ...

Yes Sir,he's the jobsite foreman.....Dude had me in his corner,the day I saw the two dots and the dash in the ultrasound image,I thank GOD for my shadow.
20170603_133143.jpg
I have a beautiful daughter and an awesome wife.I feel truly blessed with my family. I WILL raise him to be a MAN.

Yes Sir,he's the jobsite foreman.....Dude had me in his corner,the day I saw the two dots and the dash in the ultrasound image,I thank GOD for my shadow. I have a beautiful daughter and an awesome wife.I feel truly blessed with my family. I WILL raise him to be a MAN.

Amen!

Loving this thread and enjoying the pics of your build.

20171022_105504.jpg

20171022_105654.jpg
20171022_110156.jpg
20171107_163840.jpg

Update: I got a couple of stainless eye hooks for the bacon hangers and put a roof vent on for the smoke draft, since I did not have a chimney . It's drafting beautifully.

Reactions: hoity toit
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky