fresh sage question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boykjo

Renowned Sausage Maker
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Apr 28, 2010
Raleigh,NC
Using fresh sage, Do you pull the leafs off the stems and grind the leafs only or do you just throw the whole  thing in and grind..Here;s what I got

Going to throw it in some breakfast sausage

Thanks

Joe

Thanks M... I pulled the leaves off and ground them with my coffee grinder......

If you are grinding them in the coffee grinder then you can leave in the soft stems at the tips. Just pull get rid of any woody bits of stem.

If you are grinding them in the coffee grinder then you can leave in the soft stems at the tips. Just pull get rid of any woody bits of stem.
Thanks

Your sage looks wonderful.   Did you let the leaves dry before grinding in the coffee grinder or did you grind the leaves fresh from the garden?      I have 2 sage plants and want to grind and store it.

Your sage looks wonderful.   Did you let the leaves dry before grinding in the coffee grinder or did you grind the leaves fresh from the garden?      I have 2 sage plants and want to grind and store it.
whistech, evening......  I find drying my herbs at 110 deg F for a couple or three days, keeps their color and oils pretty nicely....   vac-pac and freeze then grind and use as you need them.....   they stay pretty fresh and potent using that method...    

Dave

A Classic Italian preparation with Sage that is super quick...Place a pound of Gnocchi in salted boiling water until they float. Dip out about a 1/2C of the Pasta Water and reserve. Drain the Gnocchi and keep warm. Put the Colander in the empty pasta pot and cover with foil.  Brown a stick of Butter over med/high heat in a skillet until it turns Brown and takes on a Nutty aroma but don't let it go beyond peanut butter brown. Toss in a handful of fresh Sage Leaves, six is common but they get so crunchy I put a lot. Add the Gnocchi to the Sage Butter with a big handful of grated Parm Reggiano and a couple Tbs of the reserved pasta water. Toss over medium heat until it gets all Saucy. If it gets Greasy looking the sauce Broke, just add a little more Cheese and Pasta Water and toss it, it will come back together. Serve...Feeds 2 regular folks or One guy from Lackawanna County...JJ

Note...Any Pasta works here, so does adding Shrimp, Calamari, any Seafood. A clove or two of Minced Garlic, a couple of Anchovies and/or some Red Pepper Flakes or minced Fresh Chili's adds a nice touch...
icon14.gif

I always pull as much stem as I can out.  Even to the point of pulling leaves in half.  Your fingers will be sticky, but smell wonderful, you won't want to wash your hands.  LOL

Yes you will lose a little oil, but you will never have a woody thing sticking in your teeth with a bite of dressing or meat either.  After drying on screen in sun, or in dehydrator, I hand rub them.  Never a grinder.  Store in jars on counter and will last all winter until fresh come on again in garden.

My way isn't the only way.  Just my way.

If your house is totally non-smoking, you can just cut branches, and hang in room to dry without too much humidity to dry,  and use the leaves as you need them.   I smoke, so I have to fry and store them in air tight jars.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky