Fresh Jalapenos for sausage ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
Does anyone use them ? I have a bucket of them and I was thinking of giving them a try or dehydrating them.

work used to use them for jap/cheddar brats. I think they went to dried in the mix because of the short shelf life on the peppers we ordered in. The box had enough for 50 lbs sausage with a 3 day life span or so. Usually only made 25 lbs every 4 days.
I'll try to find the ratio we used of fresh and get back with you.

Reactions: chopsaw
I have been thinking of dicing up some fresh to add to my jalapeno cheddar sausages. I normally use canned or jarred diced, and don't get as much heat as I'd like. The jalapeno flavor is there, just not the heat that I'd like. I'm not sure how to adjust the ratio with fresh so that they aren't over the top hot, though.

I use 70g/kg of the pickled diced, so I'd back off some from that with fresh ....... maybe 40 or 50g/kg and work from there. Do small batches til you get it dialed in. If the first ends up not too hot, go up a little. If too hot, slice them and cook in a skillet with taters.

We used 24 oz. for 25 lb batch. No idea what that equals in dried. Maybe you can dry 24 oz diced japs and tell us what it weighs afterward.

I'm still fairly new to sausage making, I'm about a year in. That said, I've made more Jalapeno Cheddar sausage than anything else, and I've used fresh diced jalapeno's every time. I thought they turned out great. I actually even sold some to a few friends who have encouraged me to sell my BBQ, and they all gave me great feedback on them and said they were amazing.

I tend to prefer dehydrated for smoked sausage, but use fresh in anything I plan on poaching and/or grilling.
With smoked sausage, for whatever reason, I'm not so wild about the crunch from the fresh jalapeños.

I just pulled some SS chubs from the smoker that I used home grown fresh . I had to slice one after the ice bath ,,,, the heat's there . Just what I was lookin for .
How much fresh did you go with per KG?

How much fresh did you go with per KG?
Lol . Doug , I don't get into all that . I make sure my salt and cure are right for the meat weight , and the rest is " that looks good "
Meat weight was 2 1/2 pounds . I had 5 ripe peppers drying on the counter , and pulled 2 green ones off the plant . Medium size . Perfect .
Membranes included .

Lol . Doug , I don't get into all that .
I hear ya, but I do try to get amounts worked into a recipe I can repeat. I know some peppers are not going to be as hot as the last ones I used, but I try to work out repeatable sausage recipes.

I have great results with my methods . I knew you asked about fresh or dried , just some input .

Reactions: DougE
I have great results with my methods . I knew you asked about fresh or dried , just some input .
About as useful as tits on a boar hog. If I have no idea how much fresh to add per meat weight, it's a mystery till I actually try it myself and figure how much I need to add based on my own findings.

• Haha
Reactions: JoePD
I have used fresh and dried. With the Fresh jalapenos, it you don't blanch them they tend to still have a little crunch to the bite. But if you blanch them first in 190*F water for 90 seconds, that will take care of the crunch.
I like 2# fresh diced jalapenos per 25# sausage mince.
I use the same amount but dried in my dehydrator. I should weigh them once dried, but I never think about it at the time....

poacherjoe poacherjoe
I just made jalapeno SPAM today using fresh jalapenos.
I used 1 large fresh deveined, deseeded, in 1000g meat. Which was 45g, or 4.5%
I just fried up a patty, and IMO it was the perfect level of fresh jalapeno, definitely there and good flavor, bit of heat, but not too much heat for anyone really.
I would go double, so 2 jalapeños or 90g per kg meat, if you want potent flavor and heat, at that amount probably 30% folks will say its too hot. Add in seeds and veins for more. Of course jalapeños vary in heat, but I'd say these large ones from Frys grocery were middle of road.
20221201_185153.jpg

I see that now... I didn't read all this thread, just clicked reply and typed heh. However, I will say that I have learned to trust your recipe spicing skilz!
Ok, it really was a guess of where I'd start since I've not used fresh in sausage; only diced pickled. Just sitting around thinking about the difference in heat between the two, I decided that's where I'd start is all it amounts to.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky