fresh gulf shrimp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fueling Around

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
Vacationing in Panama City Beach. Stopped at Shrimp City seafood market per local resident recommendation.
Picked up 1.5# of jumbo (29 total) of just caught and de-headed fresh gulf shrimp.

shrimp 002.JPG
16 deveined, dredged in melted butter (no other flavor/spice) and chilled in the freezer.

shrimp 004.JPG
Gas grill at the resort. I have to accept what they offer when traveling.

shrimp 005.JPG
Grill pan on the grate. I love the grill pans from Walmart.

shrimp 006.JPG
Turned after a few minutes.
No need to baste. Enough butter stuck to the shrimp by the quick blast chill in the freezer

shrimp 008.JPG
Done to perfection.

shrimp 009.JPG
Plated with a Caesar salad kit from local grocer.

shrimp 010.JPG
Wife's empty plate said all is good.
Then she requested the rest of the shrimp tomorrow.

I so miss living near to fresh seafood.

Sorry for phone cam images. I'm on wife's laptop and couldn't figure out the editor.

Looks delicious! Do you want my address so you can drop some off at my house on your way home? :emoji_blush:

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: Fueling Around
Looks great! Headed to Destin in a few weeks. First time on the gulf. Totally want to try and do stuff like this. Mind if I ask price per lb?

Looks great! Headed to Destin in a few weeks. First time on the gulf. Totally want to try and do stuff like this. Mind if I ask price per lb?
We started our Florida stay with a few days in Destin.
WARNING, the US-98 bridge at Pensacola is closed
Shrimp was $15/#
Next time, I'll go to the dock and get directly from a trawler

Looks great, your about 1 - 1.5 hours from my place. Weather should improve over the next few days enjoy your stay.

Shrimp was $15/#
$15/# ?!?!? Wow! I would expect to pay that in say Kansas, but not on the gulf.. must be tourist pricing. I would definitely go to the dock!

• Wow
Shrimp was $15/#
Thanks for the heads up! $15 isn't all that bad but could be better. Also curious what fish are good there.

Looks great, your about 1 - 1.5 hours from my place. Weather should improve over the next few days enjoy your stay.
Thanks! We're heading north Friday morning.
We stayed coastal and wandered south as far as Apalachicola and East Point

$15/# ?!?!? Wow! I would expect to pay that in say Kansas, but not on the gulf.. must be tourist pricing. I would definitely go to the dock!
Nope $15 for jumbo is the going rate for everyone that I can tell. Unless they have a secret sign language that tells the shop keep to give resident rates?
This is Florida. Everything is 30-100% higher than what I consider normal prices.

Thanks for the heads up! $15 isn't all that bad but could be better. Also curious what fish are good there.
I'm not sure what's in season, but I noticed they had grouper at the Shrimp shop.
I'm a grouper fan so that's what I had in a restaurant at Pensacola Beach when we were in Destin.
Grayton Brewery Pub is just down the road. I like the Fish Whistle IPA

That's high for shrimp in the area.
You should have headed a little farther east than East Point to St George Island there is a nice beach there in a State Park

Pulled out the laptop to check weather forecast for drive home.
Looks delicious! Do you want my address so you can drop some off at my house on your way home? :emoji_blush:

Ryan
Sorry Ryan, but we truly are avoiding Iowa and skipping up central Illinois
Thanks for the like it is appreciated.

Bring back plenty of sunshine and warm air. :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:
25 and windy here this morn.

Warren
Started out in the upper 30's this morning in Florida. Got as high as the upper 40's in Alabama before dropping. A bit of snow on the ground in lower Illinois. We're trying to beat the nasty forecast crossing Iowa and lower Minnesota in the early hours. Appears you may get something, too.

That's high for shrimp in the area.
You should have headed a little farther east than East Point to St George Island there is a nice beach there in a State Park
Need to get off the tourist path for reasonable prices? Stinky shrimp sells in the Publix for $11/# so I went for the fresher. As I said, next time we go to the dock for head on. Wife won't be happy when I want to bring the frozen heads home for stock.

Hope you make it home safely! We had friends get home from Florida last night so they just beat the weather! Was 80 degrees when they left Florida... welcome home lol!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan
Got as far as Minneapolis- St. Paul today. Possible freezing rain and light snow overnight. but we beat the major stuff crossing Missouri, Illinois, and lower Wisconsin
Another 5 hours on the road to get home tomorrow

too bad our freshwater shrimp up here don't get even a 1/4 of the size, but they sure can make our perch, walleye, gills, etc nice tubby fish fast
The flakiness and flavor of fresh water game fish is second to none.
Trying to figure out why northern is edible only in winter months, but walleye and crappie are good in the sumer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky