• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pellets catching on fire in small smoke house

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
The diffuser is meant to give you better smoke distribution

No.. It is for better heat distribution... Instead of all the heat being in the center ... Some reason i'm not finding my pics of it.... I'll keep looking... I know I posted some from the S. Fl. Gatherings...
 
You can buy the enclosed tray for burning pellets / wood chips . They choke off the air flow to the contents .
Could also use a cast iron skillet with wood chunks . To much surface on pellets to sit it on the heat source in my opinion .
I suspect that powerful heat source doesn't spend a lot of time "on" once it gets to temp. So like all are saying, when it comes on it just gets too hot for the pellets. But the cast iron trick works. You might need to limit the air on top, however. When I use one with a half-inch layer of pellets in it over my pellet grill crucible (now that gets hot!) I find I can avoid pellet fires with a lid (metal sheet, or I found a dog dish that fits perfectly) with just a few .25" holes in the lid--it gives plenty of smoke but doesn't flare up. And a little grease dripping on the top of it (yes the lid gets dirty) only adds to the flavor. The colander sounds like a great idea too, but it might have too many holes.
 
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top
Clicky