fresh gulf shrimp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The flakiness and flavor of fresh water game fish is second to none.
Trying to figure out why northern is edible only in winter months, but walleye and crappie are good in the sumer.
My theory is that most pike found in the summer spend a fair amount of time in pretty warm water, the big girls will go deeper but they still ride the thermocline. Walleye, bass, catfish which all have larger flakes get mussy in the summer for the same reason, winter on the other hand they are top notch. Crappie and gills tend to have smaller flakes and also are more apt to migrate and spend time in cooler water. I have caught walleye in the middle of summer in shallow lakes and they are not nearly as firm fleshed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky