Freezing multiple briskets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

loosechangedru

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Gainesville, FL
Found a decent enough deal on briskets, and I was thinking to buy 3-4. I read somewhere on here to wait 30-45 days after it was packed to open the cryo-vac packaging.

A) can anyone confirm that?
And
B) Should I wait and then freeze?

Thanks in advance! I will repay in brisket qview 3-4 times this year.

Were the briskets Frozen to start? If so, I'd go straight to freezer. If thawed, letting them wet age a bit as you've mentioned is never a bad idea, personal preference really, but I believe it is worth it. I'm down to 3 briskets in the freezer but they are a combo of above. One was ordered online and came frozen so I put it straight in freezer. The other two were local buys and wet aged for 30 ish days then frozen.

My .02 anyway. There will be other more knowledgeable people stopping in I'm sure. :emoji_thumbsup:

TL;DR

Sounds like you're on the right path to me!

In for Q-View! :emoji_raised_hands:

Thanks for the .02, Nebraskan! They are not frozen to begin with.

*Side question*
In north central FL, choice brisket is on sale for 3.78/lb this weekend. I keep reading better deals on the forums on Costco prime packers, but the closest one is 1.5 hours away. Is ordering meat online an economical alternative? I can google it, but someone here might have a go-to source/site...

Thanks for the .02, Nebraskan! They are not frozen to begin with.

*Side question*
In north central FL, choice brisket is on sale for 3.78/lb this weekend. I keep reading better deals on the forums on Costco prime packers, but the closest one is 1.5 hours away. Is ordering meat online an economical alternative? I can google it, but someone here might have a go-to source/site...

I say let em age as you planned according to the pack date. Just keep an eye on the bags and put some paper towels under them. I've had some blowouts and messes to clean up before. If that happens, I trim, season, vac-seal and let em age a little longer again. Usually just from being moved around a little and tearing.

As for ordering online, once you factor in cold shipping, usually it isn't very economical to purchase. The ones I have done have been sales on Wagyu Briskets.

I'd call that Costco near you and see if they carry prime packers and how much. Then you can determine if a road trip is worth it and if you have a membership or not plays into that obviously. Ours luckily carries them for normal price of $3.49 and routinely on sale for $2.99 for prime.

3 hours round trip? You need to see a $50 savings to walk out the door. The scale used to Grade meat has broadened. There used to be a big difference between Choice and Prime. Now there are sub-grades that you will not see but the Packer and Buyer use to determine price and or Sales. There are High, Low and Medium Sub-Grades. A High Choice can be better than a Low Prime. The difference is that Low Prime is still advertised as Prime and even at a dollar or two below what you buy Middle or High Choice, locally, is not any better or worth the 3 hours trip. Since High Prime and High Choice pretty much only goes to Restaurants, what you see in Big Box Stores are often too close to call the difference between Choice and Prime.
Kind of like...Dating the Super Hot Girl next door or driving 3 hour to take out her Equally Hot Cousin with a better Booty!?!?...JJ

Hi, what is this "wet-age" you speak of?

Wet-ageing is just what happens in the cryo-vac between processing and when you open it up. Same concept as dry ageing, enzymatic breakdown of proteins. Really, once you get cryo-vac'd meat home, just leave it in its bag for however long you desire from date on package. It won't have the same ageing effects or extent as dry-ageing, and yields a different taste. Dry ageing lends to more nutty flavors and wet ageing is said to have a more "metallic" taste and not the depth of flavor as dry ageing. Wet ageing there is also hardly any loss in weight as there is little dehydration due to the liquids retained in the vacuum bag. Pros and cons to each.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky