Freeze, Thaw Re-Freeze

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Newglide

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
NC
Sorry if this has been posted.
I have a couple of pounds of cooked pork butt that I froze a couple of weeks ago.
I planned on using this weekend so I thawed in the fridge but didn't get to it this weekend.
Can I re-freeze it?
I saw a post from chef Jimmy that talked about raw meat and as long as it stayed in the fridge during the thaw and didn't get below a certain temp it was good.(https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/refreezing-thawed-raw-meat.309731/)
Does the same hold true for cooked meat?

I wouldn't give food safety advice but I do know that the freezing process causes ice crystals to form in the meat. I assume refreezing would cause some damage to the meat due to the forming/thawing/reforming of ice crystals and possibly affect the quality of the meat. When I get into that situation I cook as quickly as possible and refrigerate or freeze the cooked meat. I vacuum seal all my meat so there is a little slack time between thawing and cooking.

Man I miss Chef JJ for this sort of thing. He was a food safety guy but also a bit of rebel. My wife works in a school cafeteria and this is a 100% no go either raw or cooked. That being said, my parents do this sort of thing all the time but agree with xbubblehead xbubblehead quality is gonna take a hit.

I wouldn't give food safety advice but I do know that the freezing process causes ice crystals to form in the meat. I assume refreezing would cause some damage to the meat due to the forming/thawing/reforming of ice crystals and possibly affect the quality of the meat. When I get into that situation I cook as quickly as possible and refrigerate or freeze the cooked meat. I vacuum seal all my meat so there is a little slack time between thawing and cooking.
Thanks,
That's typically how I do it also.
I like to fill up the smoker if I'm going to start a fire.
Once it cools I vacuum seal it.
I just haven't caught myself in this spot.

Man I miss Chef JJ for this sort of thing. He was a food safety guy but also a bit of rebel. My wife works in a school cafeteria and this is a 100% no go either raw or cooked. That being said, my parents do this sort of thing all the time but agree with xbubblehead xbubblehead quality is gonna take a hit.
Same here.
Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky