Franklin Smokers

Discussion in 'Wood Smokers' started by dave schiller, Aug 23, 2017.

1. I note on Aaron Franklin's web site that he will be making and selling smokers in 2018.  No info is given as to price, dimensions, etc.  Somehow I don't think they will be cheap.  Scroll to the bottom of his home page for info.

2. jbellard

jbellard Smoke Blower

Dave I've read that the smokers will be 6ft long and able to hold 3 briskets. Would cost around $2500 and there over 2,000 people already on the waiting list to get one😜

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  3. 3montes

3montes Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Interesting. Everything I seen Franklin smoke on is pretty down home made rusty crusty old propane tanks. Nothing fancy, nothing aesthetically pleasing about his cookers. A 72" long smoker that holds only 3 briskets?? Should be interesting to see what he comes up with.

4. jbellard

jbellard Smoke Blower

Read this from article.

Aaron Franklin, the BBQ genius behind the iconic restaurant that bears his last name, is gearing up to release Franklin Barbecue Pits this summer. Austin360 reports the hand-welded smokers will be six-feet long and can smoke up to three briskets at once.

Franklin, a self-taught welder, modeled his new creations after the pits he built to smoke up the legendary brisket at Franklin Barbecue. Brothers Caleb and Matt Johnson are handling the welding and assembly of the pits.

5. jbellard

jbellard Smoke Blower

I did think itinteresting that it would only fit 3 briskets as well. Should fit more even with his one rack system.

6. Rings Я Us

Rings Я Us Master of the Pit Group Lead

Well, 24 inches could be fire box and handle space. Briskets are 20 inches Or so. They could lay end to end and be 5 feet of space. There is your 6 feet. It might be a 48 Inch cooking chamber and the briskets would go in diagonally?

I want the autographed deluxe model used on tv for one if his shows 🤓

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  7. yankee2bbq

yankee2bbq Meat Mopper

Aaron Franklin is my hero! I would love to buy one of his smokers! Beer me!

8. Or they're the worlds largest briskets??

9. Rings Я Us

4 briskets are 80 inches .. so you know that's not going to fit. They probably won't be deep enough for some large briskets to fit it front to back.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  10. ruger35

ruger35 Newbie

May also be 6 feet in total length. My LSG 24x48 is right about 6' including firebox and stack.

11. Rings Я Us

That's what I said.
    It might be a 48 Inch cooking chamber and the briskets would go in diagonally?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  12. Here's a link to Franklin's smokers: http://www.wideopencountry.com/franklin-barbecue-pits/

$2400-2500 each.  With 2,000 orders, that's about $5m in guaranteed sales prior to initial offering.  Of course, the signups don't necessarily mean purchases.  But still, ...........

As far as dimensions, I guess if you're interested, you could contact Franklin and ask.

13. jbellard

jbellard Smoke Blower

Hopefully the sales from this smoker will get Aaron and crew back on track as they rebuild from the fire today. I got the chance to eat at Franklins in June. Amazing brisket and got to meet Aaron. Super nice guy and he signed my copy of his book.

14. ruger35

ruger35 Newbie

I think you are correct. Single rack and diagonal. Could easily fit 6-7 adding an extra rack if someone feels like doing a little welding.

15. whitefish

whitefish Fire Starter

Here is a picture of Franklin's new smoker from a Texas Monthly magazine article. It looks fairly large with an unusual smoke stack.

16. srmartin15

srmartin15 Newbie

OK
    It looks as though the smoke stack is right at grate level and will pull the smoke/air uniformally across the grate and width of the smoker. Seems like a really good design! I wonder how thick the metal is. I like the reverse flow but this definitely is conventional.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

17. Rings Я Us

Hope this is just an unfinished prototype. Some serious gaps around that door. 🤔

18. Rings Я Us

19. jbellard

jbellard Smoke Blower

There’s no seal around that door but if you read the article someone posted recently, Franklin was actually using that smoker to cook the kosher briskets. So he is using that one as is.