Found A New Wood Guy!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Reactions: TNJAKE
Howdy fellas and non fellas. Found a new Wood Guy today. 10 miles from the house. The guy has everything!View attachment 648058View attachment 648059View attachment 648060

Wood as far as the eye can see! Got me a 4x8x16 Rick of oak, hickory and cherry mix........$75 bucksView attachment 648061View attachment 648062
Going back tomorrow for another Rick of just hickory and pecan!
I envy you.

Wood here in central Texas, is a nightmare...
That’s a dream in S Florida. I might actually use my offset more. Down here I have to scourge thru Facebook and Craig to hope to find a” bundle” for $50

Great score Jake! I paid a fortune for my wood the first year I had the Lang. Finally found a local. Like yours he’s a tree cutter and the wood is a side hustle. He brings me what equates to about 2/3 a cord for $110 delivered and dumped. It’s really big splits so I have to do a lot of splitting and stacking but beats the $400 a cord for sorted smoking wood many around here want. Just finished splitting up a load of cherry.

Glad to hear your the receiver of some new wood Jake. I hope the splits aren't to big for your firebox opening. :emoji_astonished::emoji_laughing:

Chris

• Haha
That's a lot of wood and a good price. When we did trees about all we got was pines and oaks we did process some of the oak for firewood.
Does he get any fruit wood? You might want to tell him to call you when he gets some which he might once in awhile
He had a bunch of apple but I don't do much smoking with fruit woods

Damn I just spent $60 for a 20lb box of cherry sent to the house.....wonder what he charges to ship to NY...lol
Black cherry is a common tree here. I'd never buy boxed wood lol. We burn about a cord every winter in the fireplace so this isn't all for the smoker

He had a bunch of apple but I don't do much smoking with fruit woods
I'm trying to figure out how much it would cost to rent a truck and a trailer, hire a helper, and drive there and back - given the prices of the waste-wood they sell here in central Texas (https://www.bastropfirewood.com/ - note: a "full load" is NOT a full cord...), I should be able to quadruple my money...

I'm trying to figure out how much it would cost to rent a truck and a trailer, hire a helper, and drive there and back - given the prices of the waste-wood they sell here in central Texas (https://www.bastropfirewood.com/ - note: a "full load" is NOT a full cord...), I should be able to quadruple my money...
Figured wood would be easy to find in Texas for a decent price

• Haha
Reactions: Retired Spook
Great find Jake, well worth the time to load it yourself. Hardwood trees don't grow out here in the desert, I just had a couple of 20 pounds boxes delivered for $70, another reason why I sold my offset last year. RAY

Just got the first Rick unloaded and stacked. Heading back for another Rick. Measured a little over 4x8 which lets me know I can't trust the new guys integrity!
IMG_20221108_113810.jpg

Wood here in central Texas, is a nightmare...

Figured wood would be easy to find in Texas for a decent price
I have no idea what part of Central Texas you're in Retired Spook Retired Spook but I'm just northwest of Austin. Around this area trees are scared, especially oaks. It is all solid rock in this region and it takes a LONG time for trees to grow though that, especially when you take into account the very minimal rainfall. Now if you go into Austin, they will put you in jail for even thinking about trimming a tree. Those folks are fanatical about trees and it makes the construction industry very difficult to work in with all the insane tree laws they have.

Robert

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky