Found A New Wood Guy!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have no idea what part of Central Texas you're in Retired Spook Retired Spook but I'm just northwest of Austin. Around this area trees are scared, especially oaks. It is all solid rock in this region and it takes a LONG time for trees to grow though that, especially when you take into account the very minimal rainfall. Now if you go into Austin, they will put you in jail for even thinking about trimming a tree. Those folks are fanatical about trees and it makes the construction industry very difficult to work in with all the insane tree laws they have.

Robert
Somewhere east of Austin.

In that case, if I had a rich Texan's money - which, to be clear, I do not - I would start trucking high quality cooking wood in from out of State, and I would not sell any to any of the over-priced brisket joints - I would reserve mine for back-yard cooks - and be happy with a 15% profit, like in the olden days of American business. And furthermore, half the loads would be genuine Hickory - not that junk that HEB sells in the mesh bags...

"Stoicism is the wisdom of madness, and cynicism the madness of wisdom." - Bergen Evans

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
You southern guys get all the best wood options. Anyone know of anything like this out west? For what I can find its $300 a cord.
A cord is 3 ricks so that's actually not a terrible price. Check with your local tree cutters/arborists. I've found that around here that tons of them are selling wood on the side. We are lucky here as most of Tennessee is thick with all sorts of hardwood trees

Reactions: Retired Spook
Who came up with wood naming conventions? Rick, Cord or whatever.

Chris

A cord is 3 ricks! Good to know. Three cords is a steve, correct?
Yes a cord is this pic times 3. Which is a absolute ton of smoker wood. We burn a cord a year but we use a ton in the fireplace.
IMG_20221108_113810.jpg

A Rick is 4 feet tall by 8ft long. Splits should be 14-16ish inches long......a cord is typically 4ft tall by 4 feet wide ( depending on split length) and 8ft long

Yes a cord is this pic times 3. Which is a absolute ton of smoker wood. We burn a cord a year but we use a ton in the fireplace.View attachment 648132
A Rick is 4 feet tall by 8ft long. Splits should be 14-16ish inches long......a cord is typically 4ft tall by 4 feet wide ( depending on split length) and 8ft long
I think you are very fortunate to have such good wood at such a reasonable price - no matter what you call the stack! :emoji_wink:

Reactions: TNJAKE
Just got the first Rick unloaded and stacked. Heading back for another Rick. Measured a little over 4x8 which lets me know I can't trust the new guys integrity!View attachment 648112
Nice find. Just a heads up…make sure you leave a gap between the stacked firewood and the house or outbuilding exterior wall. Termite and or roach problem can occur.
A Rick around here goes for 65.00 bucks.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Nice find. Just a heads up…make sure you leave a gap between the stacked firewood and the house or outbuilding exterior wall. Termite and or roach problem can occur.
A Rick around here goes for 65.00 bucks.
Yes sir I already know. This is stacked about 5-6inches off the wall. Less concerned with termites than I am with our new 2yr old $8k buck exterior house paint lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky