For experts: how many Kingsford briquets are necessary for 700 gr of meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atayseony

Original poster
Jul 31, 2021
Hello community, the title of the thread says it all, how many Kingsford briquets are necessary for cooking 700 gr of meat?, 10, 20 briquets?.

The meat pieces are a little more thicker than breaded beef so the meat must be cooked quickly.

I want to start grilling in a homemade grill build with bricks, like this

Thanks.

For the best result, searing thin meat. Fill one Half of the brick grill with lit charcoal, close To the Top! However many it takes. This way you have a Sear side and a cool Landing area if need be, for flair-ups or to veg keep warm. Plan ahead. Sear off some Veg as a side. Thick cut Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Portobello Mushrooms and Sweet Onion Slices,, 1cm slabs, marinated in 100ml Balsamic Vinegar, Fresh Garlic , Thyme, S & P, with 15ml Olive Oil, make a great Grilled Veg Side Dish with steak. Watch Flare-up from the Oil. Push the Veg to the cool side, Sear the Meat and Eat!...JJ

I'd be more worried about the bricks breaking apart on a high heat cook.

Chris

That is a cool project and a permanent version of the hibachi grills people had in the backyard when I was a little boy in the 60's. I remember having a lot skewered veggies and skewered meats and sometimes each person was their own cook building their own skewers and grilling them one at a time. This could turn dinner into a two hour affair and a lot fun.

I saw a modern day 'hibachi' style grill made by Lodge. It's called a Cast Iron Sportsman’s Grill.

Your project looks familiar and will work well for kabobs, steak, shrimp, etc.
1627829826649.png
1627829915579.png

Reactions: Colin1230
Welcome to SMF.
That looks like a fun cook. I think I would use fire brick though.

Thanks for the answers guys, but none have answered my question hahaha

How many pieces of burning briquets are necessary for cooking 700 gr of meat?, 10, 20 pieces?, I want to be as efficient as possible with the briquets.

How many pieces of burning briquets are necessary for cooking 700 gr of meat?, 10, 20 pieces?, I want to be as efficient as possible with the briquets.
You're right.

It looks like the charcoal area is about 15" X 8"? And you have about 1-1/2 pounds of thin meat (not on skewers)? I would guesstimate at least 15 or so you have some wiggle room if the briquettes are past their prime when you cook.

Got any marshmallows just in case you have some coals left after dinner?

It's been a while since I counted briquettes. A small chimney holds about 32 briquettes when full. Once ashed over, KBB briqs are at their hottest (980F) for only about 15 minutes before they start to cool.

The thickness of your meat will actually determine how many briquettes you'll need. Thin meat cooks faster but takes up more area. Thick meat cooks slower and takes up less area.

10 is WAY too few for either thickness. 15 might work. 20 would be my recommendation.

Reactions: atayseony
According to my calculations, 24.3 brickettes...............That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

To be fair, you didn’t provide much information. I have no idea how thick breaded beef is, but if you want to grill directly over the coals I’d say you need enough briquets to make up a single layer of well-ashes-over briquets to make an even bed of coals underneath the meat. Just figure out how much of the grill will be covered, spread unlit coals out and then get them going.

According to my calculations, 24.3 brickettes...............That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
.... as long as all of the "K's" are facing upwards.
Now gentlemen, jest not at one of our newest members dilemma. And fret not, noboundaries noboundaries (self proclaimed charcoal nerd) will have it figured out:emoji_thinking: with a little more data on the cooker once it's completed, and the exact thickness of the meat. :emoji_wink:

It's a trick question, you have no idea what size rack or the size of the meat, cant use algebra to figure this problem out, Also they don't sell the briquets by the count , you want 2 layers to really generate some heat or single layer ? hard to answer without enough information , good luck and have a long flipper to keep the hands from getting singed

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky